add the ability to "stream" the virtual machine screen/sound card

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
allegfede

add the ability to "stream" the virtual machine screen/sound card

Post by allegfede »

Hello, i need to get what is "played" by a virtual machine and what is displayd on his screen in real time (no video recording), and i prefear to use host machine's running process instead of an instance of ffmpeg in the virtual machine (hardware accelerated encoding trough cuvid / nvenc).

Is that an interesting feature to add to the "snapshot/video recording" section?

Maybe options could include the streaming protocol (rtsp/rtp/hls ...) the server ip (or receiver ip), port user, pass etc ....

Thanks for the help,

Federico
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: add the ability to "stream" the virtual machine screen/sound card

Post by socratis »

Are you perhaps referring to the RDP option? Because that's available already...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
allegfede

Post by allegfede »

i know it's now possible to use the remote desktop protocol.

Is possible using this feature to "capture" the stream and pipe it to ffmpeg to manipulate it?

i need no interaction with what the virtual machine is displaying.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

And how's that different from the "video recording" option? What am I missing here? You seem to be asking about existing features. Could you make it clearer what's the goal? Not the means, the goal. For example I don't really care if ffmpgeg is/isn't going to be used...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
allegfede

Post by allegfede »

that video recording makes a FILE on your computer ... video streaming sends packets (udp or tcp formatted) trough the network.

using rDp could be great, but i don't know how to "capture" rDp packets and pipe them to ffmpeg.

I suppose large part of the video recording/ rdp screen capture code, could be used and sink the captured video to a different destination (video rec would work on a file writing code, rDp on a tcp socket interconnection).

but, i repeat, maybe i miss the point and the feature is already there.

PS: i can see a virtual machine desktop on vlc in real time (for 2 months for example?) without saving big video files on my computer?

Thanks for the kindly response ;-)
allegfede

Post by allegfede »

I'll try to explain better my needings.

I have a video server that plays back a playlist of prerecorded videos and in certain case, after a video file ends (test.h264) have to play a video streaming generated live by a windows machine (a scala multimedia slideshow). What that server supports is UDP (mpeg2) or rtmp (h264).
Now i'm trying to run ffmpeg on that windowsXP machine (last windows versione of our Scala application compatibile with), but it is loosing FPS.
I'll try to run winxp on more powerfull machines, but XP has problems with SSD, SATA, etc.

Best option probably is to run winxp on a powerfull linux virtualbox host machine, and let linux do the streaming stuff.

Now, if virtual box provides an integrated rtmp (h264) or UDP(mpeg2) encoder, running INSIDE the managing application (cuvid or nvencaccelerated maybe) would be great.

Other test i would do is trying to let ffmpeg capture the winxp virtual macchine desktop WINDOW from the linux host machine.