ICMP through NAT

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
alexlake

ICMP through NAT

Post by alexlake »

It would be very nice to be able to forward PING through NAT.
I think that VMWare does it, but I like VirtualBox!
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: ICMP through NAT

Post by andyp73 »

To quote something I read earlier... "it would be very nice to have a pet unicorn that pooped money!".

Why do you want / need to be able to forward ping through NAT? What is it that you are trying to achieve but can't?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
alexlake

Post by alexlake »

I have a bunch of servers running as VMs and pinging them is the simplest way I've always been able to tell (with basic ubiquitous tools) that they're online when trying to run some basic diagnostics.
Sure, there are always other ways to crack nuts, and one could say that some form of Nagios setup would be better, but it's what we're used to!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

So how exactly are you envisioning the whole "ping Server34" would work behind a NAT network? Please be specific with exact commands, ports and forwarding rules, because I'm missing something...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.