Running machines clearly marked

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Nap

Running machines clearly marked

Post by Nap »

Would it be possible to either highlight running machines in such a way as to make it easy to see that they are running (coloured background), or elevate running machines to either a separate category or at the top of the machine list.
At present, it requires scanning each machine in the list to see if it's running or not, time consuming and error prone.

Cheers.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Running machines clearly marked

Post by socratis »

They do have a green arrow beneath their name that says "Running", as opposed to the blue "Off", "Saved" or "Paused" states, or the red "Aborted" ones. I can definitely see the highlighted option (slightly green one?), even if only for accessibility's sake.

But definitely not the auto-move option. I would totally, utterly, completely hate that part! ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Nap

Post by Nap »

On my 15" 2880x1880 screen, I was able to find the green arrow you're referring to, but only after tracking down my magnifying glass first.
I want to be able to see which machines are running "At a Glance" not after studying the entire list of machines.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Nap wrote:On my 15" 2880x1880 screen
Try 5.2.4. They've changed quite a few things to accommodate HiDPI displays. Also, you can always change the screen resolution, or the DPI. Don't know your host so I can offer any more specific advice, but for OSX, you can get an effective 1920x1200 (on a 2880x1880 screen), and in Windows (on the same Mac), I changed the resolution to 1920x1200 as well. Can't read even with the magnifying glass otherwise.
Nap wrote:I want to be able to see which machines are running "At a Glance" not after studying the entire list of machines.
I have 62 of them (at last count). There's no way I can see them "at a glance"... ;)

But I hear what you're saying. On the other hand, you've got to consider that there are people that want to "shrink" the occupied space from the icons and the text, so they can see all their VMs at a glance. People like me for example...;)

So there could be a "dual" view, a compact one and a standard one; the first one could even do without graphics, just the status and the name, something like (I really hope you can see that in Unicode, and yes, they're characters not images, but they could be images for better compatibility):
[list]▶️  FreeDOS 1.1
⏹  Scientific Linux 6.5 x64
⏸  Ubuntu 17.10
⚠️  Fedora 26       <-- This one is inaccessible
▶️  Haiku (64) - nightly[/list]
Of course that means double the work, double the testing, double the glitches, double the bugs... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Nap

Post by Nap »

Yes, I think age has something to do with the need for my magnifying glass, perhaps I should get glasses.
socratis wrote: Also, you can always change the screen resolution, or the DPI. Don't know your host so I can offer any more specific advice, but for OSX, you can get an effective 1920x1200 (on a 2880x1880 screen), and in Windows (on the same Mac), I changed the resolution to 1920x1200 as well. Can't read even with the magnifying glass otherwise.
I still like to have the max DPI on my screen so I can fit more info in the window.
socratis wrote:Try 5.2.4. They've changed quite a few things to accommodate HiDPI displays.
Cheers, I'll have a look. I'm running 5.1.30 atm.
socratis wrote:I have 62 of them (at last count). There's no way I can see them "at a glance"... ;)

But I hear what you're saying. On the other hand, you've got to consider that there are people that want to "shrink" the occupied space from the icons and the text, so they can see all their VMs at a glance. People like me for example...;)

So there could be a "dual" view, a compact one and a standard one; the first one could even do without graphics, just the status and the name, something like (I really hope you can see that in Unicode, and yes, they're characters not images, but they could be images for better compatibility):
[list]▶️  FreeDOS 1.1
⏹  Scientific Linux 6.5 x64
⏸  Ubuntu 17.10
⚠️  Fedora 26       <-- This one is inaccessible
▶️  Haiku (64) - nightly[/list]
Of course that means double the work, double the testing, double the glitches, double the bugs... ;)
WoW, that' a lot of machines. I haven't seen the scrollbar yet in my GUI.
The in-accessible machines I agree are much easier to see than the running/stopped ones. I still think some background fill would be nice, but I'll checkout the newer release and see what's available.