Windows Server 2012 R2 and 2016 guest OS

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Petr Vones
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10 64-bit

Windows Server 2012 R2 and 2016 guest OS

Post by Petr Vones »

Please add Windows Server 2012 R2 and 2016 as guest OS options. There is also ticket for it https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/16324
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows Server 2012 R2 and 2016 guest OS

Post by socratis »

I believe that the fact that you already have an open ticket is a stronger means of getting the developers' attention, rather than opening a thread in the users' forum.

Also, as I mentioned in the ticket as well, you should be using "Windows 8.1" for Windows Server 2012 R2, and "Windows 10" for Windows Server 2016. That's what they're based on.

There is a recent (ongoing actually), discussion on the developer's mailing list about the inclusion of an not-so-well-known Linux distribution. From a VirtualBox developer's comment (emphasis mine):
To give an answer on the general topic of adding new guest OSes: unfortunately the approach which the VirtualBox API offers today isn't as scalable as we'd like to have it and thus we add only the truly unavoidable ones.
For example, the *most* common Linux distribution out there (Mint, #1 in Distro Watch), is not listed *at all* as a VirtualBox option. Why? Because it's an Ubuntu fork. And you get the same exactly setup if you select Ubuntu as your template. And that's what you do.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows Server 2012 R2 and 2016 guest OS

Post by socratis »

Both of these options now appear in the VM templates as of 5.1.20.
Someone is listening after all... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.