Allow seamless mode to be selected, even when it can not enter seamless mode

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
davids_dad
Primary OS: Debian Squeeze
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, windos, others

select “seamless mode or fallback to fullscreen” when seamless is not available.

Post by davids_dad »

I have noticed that seemless mode falls back to fullscreen mode, when it can not do seemless. This is good.

However if virtualbox is not in seemless mode, and can not presently enter seemless mode, then I would still like to select seemless mode. I accept that it would fall-back to fullscreen mode, until seemless mode is available.

Is there a way to stop seemless from being greyed out?
If not then I would like to add this as a feature request.
davids_dad
Primary OS: Debian Squeeze
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, windos, others

Allow seamless mode to be selected, even when it can not enter seamless mode

Post by davids_dad »

Virtual box can be in a state of fullscreen, but wanting to be in seamless. When seamless becomes available, then virtual box re-enters seamless mode.

I would like the feature of being able to switch to seamless mode (or at least this pending seamless, as described above), when seamless is not available.
This should (probably) just be a GUI change. Maybe just remove the code that stops if from happening.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: select “seamless mode or fallback to fullscreen” when seamless is not available.

Post by scottgus1 »

Sounds like a feature request to me - put it on the Bugtracker as an enhancement.

But, don't hold your breath for it to be enabled any time in the near or perhaps foreseeable future. Oracle's development on free Virtualbox comes from developments on Oracle's pay-for virtualization system which is derived from Virtualbox. The license to begin getting developer support on Virtualbox starts at $6100 (that's $61 per license, 100 license minimum). The developers have said they have their hands over-full handling Oracle's customers' development needs, so we should not expect enhancements suggested by free users to be high on the list unless the enhancements coincide with rich paying customers' needs. That said, users can contribute code, and free Virtualbox is open-source, so someone could figure out how to implement what they'd like Virtualbox to have and submit a code suggestion.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Allow seamless mode to be selected, even when it can not enter seamless mode

Post by socratis »

Merged your two posts in the "Suggestions" forum as per scottgus1's suggestion.

Please do not post duplicates in the future, or one of them is going to disappear...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Allow seamless mode to be selected, even when it can not enter seamless mode

Post by mpack »

socratis wrote:Please do not post duplicates in the future, or one of them is going to disappear...
If not both... :twisted: