VirtualBox quit unexpectedly when trying to install ubuntu on osx v. 10.15.4

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
zilian

VirtualBox quit unexpectedly when trying to install ubuntu on osx v. 10.15.4

Post by zilian »

I've been trying to install ubuntu server with virtualbox, but the VM always crashes within 10 seconds of starting.
Logs:
logs.zip
(73.64 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox quit unexpectedly when trying to install ubuntu on osx v. 10.15.4

Post by scottgus1 »

The final log line:
00:00:24.861411 CoreAudio: macOS 10.14+ detected, checking audio input permissions
There's been a few posts that disabling audio in the guest because the host OS needs to or might not be asking or audio permissions.

I don't know the proper fix, though.
barrykn

Re: VirtualBox quit unexpectedly when trying to install ubuntu on osx v. 10.15.4

Post by barrykn »

For some reason, macOS (Mojave/Catalina) is choosing to kill the VirtualBoxVM process instead of asking for permission.

It might be possible to use tccutil to add "Microphone" permissions to VirtualBoxVM. However:
  • You'll have to disable both SIP and AMFI to run tccplus (but I think they can be reenabled afterward)
  • I haven't tried this yet so I don't know if it works; on my VMs, microphone is a want not a need, so I'm just sticking with VirtualBox 6.1.12 for the moment
  • This still isn't a proper fix -- but if it works, at least it will give you a working microphone, unlike downgrading to VirtualBox 6.1.12