How to Revoke Oracle Additions to MacOS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
C64whiz

How to Revoke Oracle Additions to MacOS

Post by C64whiz »

Hello,

During my first installation of VBox on Mojave, the installation failed as I needed to allow installation from Oracle. Then, I also needed to enable access to accessibility. Fine, done and done.

However, then it came time for me to capture the steps to help my students and while the Uninstall tool removes the application, it does nothing for the permissions to install Oracle applications. In fact, the next installation of VB didn't even require me to check the box to allow access to the accessibility options.

So, how do I remove the application including the ability to allow Oracle applications and the previously accepted access to accessibility options???

--C64Whiz
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: How to Revoke Oracle Additions to MacOS

Post by scottgus1 »

I am no Mac guru and I don't have a Mac. But it strikes me theoretically that the Mac OS is asking for your permission to let Virtualbox do stuff, so it's the Mac OS that would have to rescind those permissions, not Virtualbox. This sounds like a question for an Apple forum or web-search.
JeanR
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux(Fedora, CentOS)

Re: How to Revoke Oracle Additions to MacOS

Post by JeanR »

Although I'm not a Mac guru either, the following should be able to answer your question:

man spctl

You can list the allowed TeamIds that have allowed user consent for loading kernel extensions like this:

~> spctl kext-consent list

(TeamID VB5E2TV963 is the one for Vbox)

Removing this consent however would require you to boot into RecoveryOS, as this is not intended to be done from within the running system