Virtual Box not installing on Mac Pro running Catalina 10.15.6 (19G2021)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Ablgoose

Virtual Box not installing on Mac Pro running Catalina 10.15.6 (19G2021)

Post by Ablgoose »

I've just tried to instal the latest version of Virtualbox on my mac pro (2019) and it errors at the end just saying "unable to install".
I have had a good hunt around this forum and found lots of advice about using the Security and Privacy System Pref to allow the kernel to run. I follow the advice given on here in others posts, and other places. and it still doesn't work. The first time I installed it it did appear in the blocked list and I did grant it permission. Now each time i try and install it it doesn't appear in the blocked list but I can't find a way to reset that list to see it re-appear if that makes sense.

As advised in that other link I turned on logging and have attached as a zip If anyone can see what I am doing wrong - would love to know. If its something really obvious - forgive me I am new to this!

Thanks

Andy
Attachments
Installer Log 3-Sep-2020.txt.zip
installer log file
(3.22 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
dqdata

Re: Virtual Box not installing on Mac Pro running Catalina 10.15.6 (19G2021)

Post by dqdata »

It installed fine on ,y catalina. My suggestion would be delete the .dmg file and any installations of virtual box, makes sure you have enough space, reboot, download the file again form virtual box website and reinstall. Check your security permissions for installing apps.
Ablgoose

Post by Ablgoose »

dqdata wrote:It installed fine on ,y catalina. My suggestion would be delete the .dmg file and any installations of virtual box, makes sure you have enough space, reboot, download the file again form virtual box website and reinstall. Check your security permissions for installing apps.
Thank you - will give it a try again following your thoughts.
PDU2019
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 10
VBox Version: OSE Mandriva
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Post by PDU2019 »

Ablgoose wrote:I've just tried to instal the latest version of Virtualbox on my mac pro (2019) and it errors at the end just saying "unable to install".
I have had a good hunt around this forum and found lots of advice about using the Security and Privacy System Pref to allow the kernel to run. I follow the advice given on here in others posts, and other places. and it still doesn't work. The first time I installed it it did appear in the blocked list and I did grant it permission. Now each time i try and install it it doesn't appear in the blocked list but I can't find a way to reset that list to see it re-appear if that makes sense.

As advised in that other link I turned on logging and have attached as a zip If anyone can see what I am doing wrong - would love to know. If its something really obvious - forgive me I am new to this!

Thanks

Andy
To install and/or use virtualbox you may need to enable its kernel extension in: System Preferences → Security & Privacy → General.