Enable USB to guest system - Mac host system

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Meph88

Enable USB to guest system - Mac host system

Post by Meph88 »

Hey everyone,
I run VirtualBox on an always on Mac Mini.
My primary use is a virtual machine that runs a smart home platform called Home Assistant.
I have a USB device that I want to connect to Home Assistant, I have connected the USB device to the host system, I have created a filter in the VM settings for that USB device, and when I try to connect it in the settings it says that it “Failed to attach the device to the virtual machine”.
If I try to connect it without setting up a filter first it shows in the console of the VM that a USB device has been connected but the USB device is not available within the VM.
I'm sure I'm just missing a step or something, but I'm not sure how to get this working.
Ideally, the USB device would always connect to the VM from startup without any additional steps.

Any help on this would be hugely appreciated.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Enable USB to guest system - Mac host system

Post by scottgus1 »

Go through USB basics and troubleshooting. If steps 1 through 7 cannot get your device working, please provide the troubleshooting command outputs in step 8, as text in

Code: Select all

tags. Also zip and post the requested vbox.log, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.