Pointing virtualbox to already installed copy of XP

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
seefresh

Pointing virtualbox to already installed copy of XP

Post by seefresh »

Hi, I installed xp Pro via bootcamp, but I'd love to be able to access the same installation via virtualbox as well. Is this possible? I know it is with parallels, just hoping it is with virtual box as well.
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

If you do a search inside the forum you will find that this will not work at the moment, as far as I know, but please search by yourself. But I guess this is one of the features the virtualbox-staff is working on, because parallel does it and it is a feature often being asked for.
Max_Schreck

Post by Max_Schreck »

this sounds interesting!

but two question:

1) is this question because parting your HDD with bootcamp only allows one system to work at a time, and by accessing bootcamp windows by VB will mean that you can run both simultaneously?

2) is parting by bootcamp more stable then VB? since this option probably will come for VB?
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

hi Max, (or should I say Mr. Orlok?)
what did you mean with the word parting? My dictonary says parting means Abschied in german, just like "say farewell".

One reason one wishes to use an already installed bootcamp-partition is the wish to save time. If one already had installed a lot of software and updates under bootcamp, one is not very likely to do the same again under virtualbox.

Bootcamp is no virtualization. It runs like any other windows-machine. I've been told about people running on their mac's only windows and no OS-X. There are features that don't work under virtualbox at the moment, ISight-cam does not work, many USB-Devices will not work, for example many people, also I, would like to use Nokia-Sync with their cellphones, but Nokia-Sync does not work under virtualbox at the moment.

The great advantage of using virtualbox is, like you already said, the possibility to use the windows installation among other Mac-programs.

While Bootcamp only supports XP and Vista, virtualbox as well as the other virtualisers allow to run a lot of other OS's. XP and Vista has to be activated, that is not true for Win2000, Win98 or MS-Dos. I had to buy a XP-Pro for to install it under Bootcamp, but I own also a half dozen legal Windows2000 licenses taken from old exchanged pc's from a company I used to work for. Before now questions come to give them away, I will not do so, one, if not the main reason for this is they all are in my cellar in a box, and I'm to lazy to search.

If people will succeed with migrating their xp to virtualbox they may run in trouble because of that activating-feature. The machine Windows sees under virtualbox, differs from the machine that is seen under Bootcamp. Only Vista-Ultimate is allowed to be installed in a real and a virtual machine.

One also has to distinguish between the attempt to use the raw, real Bootcamppartition in the vm and the attempt to import the bootcam-partitions content to a new virtual-disk. The latter may work, but I havn't tried it, and therefore I can not write anything about it.

That is what I know, if there is any wrong information inside what I wrote, please correct it somebody.
Max_Schreck

Post by Max_Schreck »

heya,
well Max or Orlok, its the same :wink:

thanx for the explanation.
what did you mean with the word parting? My dictonary says parting means Abschied in german, just like "say farewell".
sorry for my broken english :lol:
i just mean dividing your HDD. isn't is what one do when running bootcamp?

I got your point concerning the extra hardware connection, yea a lot easier under bootcamp.
I was lucky to quickly be aware of the missing multi function of OSX and windows after i installed bootcamp so it was not so big deal for me to restore and go for VB.

that activation is really tricky, i have been talking with some colleagues at work and i always tell them wait with activation until you have checked everything running fine. cause its damn nasty if you have to reinstall everything and cannot activate :(

so the bottom line is that VB may come up with a feature so that one can run windows by bootcamp simultaneously with OSX?

salute
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

hi Max,
thanx for the explanation.
- de nada.
sorry for my broken english
no need for excuse, my english is not very much better. I simply did not understand what you meant. The word you wanted to use is partitioning.
i just mean dividing your HDD. isn't is what one do when running bootcamp?
yes and no. First it is a program that allows to partitioning the hd but it also involves the windowsdrivers on the OS_X-dvd for the apple hardware. I would call it a method or a concept.

Activation is not that tricky if you own a legal version of xp or vista. And if something goes wrong you can call the microsoft-hotline, if they are sure that your version is legal they are really willing to help you.
so the bottom line is that VB may come up with a feature so that one can run windows by bootcamp simultaneously with OSX?
Parallels has this feature and I think the virtualbox-people are working on it.

And here' s something completly off-topic and in no means related to virtualbox: Do you know this link?
http://www.archive.org/details/nosferatu
there are also other movies for legal free download like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari or The Night of the living dead. Enjoy!
Max_Schreck

Post by Max_Schreck »

The word you wanted to use is partitioning.
ahh, yea thats it.
Activation is not that tricky if you own a legal version of xp or vista. And if something goes wrong you can call the microsoft-hotline, if they are sure that your version is legal they are really willing to help you.
yea well, i talked about those legal ones.
The procedure is not tricky, i think what i mean is that instead of activating everything right away, then better check if the things you need to run is working.
cause its more headache to do that MS hotline and ect ect.
but anyways....

you say:
are there parallels for VB? i suppose paid ones?
And here' s something completly off-topic and in no means related to virtualbox: Do you know this link?
http://www.archive.org/details/nosferatu
there are also other movies for legal free download like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari or The Night of the living dead. Enjoy!
no i didnt :) thnax although i have the movie and also the living dead trilogy.
my next step is 28 days/weeks and months buys, also Alien and other classical things to be done.

cheers
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

hi Max,
you say:
Quote:

are there parallels for VB? i suppose paid ones?
Parallels is another, commercial virtualiser, that allows to setup a virtual-hd by importing a bootcamp-partition. I did not really understand your question, but I hope it is answered.

I have to bring my mac to a repair-service, and look toward a week or so without computer. A good occasion to read a book or so. And so I will be back in a week or so.
Max_Schreck

Post by Max_Schreck »

lol, yea reading books i miss sometimes too.

although i have my hands full of reading Logic manual, if thats counted as book :lol:

have fun reading....