Active Directory: "That domain couldn't be found" (server and client VMs)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
drakelet

Active Directory: "That domain couldn't be found" (server and client VMs)

Post by drakelet »

Following a guide on YouTube about setting up Windows server with clients on a VM. I can't post a link, but the name is "How to Build an Active Directory Hacking Lab", it's by The Cyber Mentor, and it's v=xftEuVQ7kY0 on YouTube. Although that's for a Windows host using VMware, whereas I'm on MacOS using VirtualBox.

When I try to add the Windows 10 client to the domain, I get "That domain couldn't be found".

Both machines are bridged to my home network. I can ping the server from the client. I've set the client DNS to the server IP. I cannot ping the client from other machines. The client can access the internet. I ran nmap on the server and it detected the LDAP with the correct domain name. I've even deleted everything and tried from scratch, so I'm almost certain I've done everything correctly - at least what's covered in the video. This is what makes me think it's a VBox issue.

Any ideas why I can't join the domain? Any troubleshooting tests I can do to find the cause of the issue?

Thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Active Directory: "That domain couldn't be found" (server and client VMs)

Post by scottgus1 »

I would not use Bridged to test a Windows domain on an existing LAN. The Windows domain controller will want to serve DHCP and be the gateway, which may mess up your network. See 'Internal' and 'Sandbox' in Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures.

Bridged may not always work over a Wi-fi adapter due to limitations in the Wi-fi standards.
drakelet

Post by drakelet »

I need to be able to access the domain via another device (a Windows machine on the same base network), so I can't set it to internal or sandbox. It needs to be open. I could potentially try a NAT Network with port forwarding, but I don't really feel like manually doing that for 130,000 entries...

There must be some steps I can take to determine where the issue is? Some logs?

EDIT: I just tried internal. Still doesn't work. I also ran an nmap scan from the client, which detects ldap on 389 with the domain.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Including an outside-the-host would require Bridged, then. Use wired Ethernet for Bridged.

If you can ping, then the Virtualbox network is connected & working, and other OS filters & firewalls are blocking what you want to happen. Keep in mind that Windows Firewall blocks ping (ICMP Echo Request), so you need to enable it for ping to respond.

If you are unable to ping each device or guest in your lab from every other device in the lab at least one direction, then run 'ipconfig /all' on each Windows device and 'ifconfig' on the Mac & any Linux devices. Post the outputs and we'll see what's happening. (Don't forget that multiple DHCP servers on one network is bad, too.)
drakelet

Post by drakelet »

Solved it!

The client was using IPv6 DNS server first, not IPv4. I only set IPv4.

Thanks for your help.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! glad you're up and running.