Big Sur Host Issues

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
isitme

Re: Big Sur Host Issues

Post by isitme »

mamkalover wrote:Hi guys, I've faced that issue today and tried a lot of things and workarounds (no success, kernel error after running the VM on any version and "Oracle America Inc" permission request was not displaying in the System Preferences after the installation as It should in all the guides) but finally managed to get it working on my end, maybe that can be helpful.

Big Sur 11.0.1
1. Wipe what you have from script in the VB installation dmg
2. Reboot
3. Install Development Snapshot VirtualBox-6.1.97-141967-OSX at /wiki/Testbuilds
4. Try to open the installed VB (it will fail saying the application is not supported), close the warning
5. Go to the System Preferences -> Security And Privacy; There now surprisingly will be a prompt about the updated software providers list, click on the Lock, then click to review the updated providers (there were 2 in my case, "Oracle America Inc" and one more) and then allow everything, it will ask to reboot. Reboot.
6. Wipe everything again from the same script (step 1)
7. Install Test Build VirtualBox-6.1.17-141968-OSX at /wiki/Testbuilds
8. In the end of the install it finally will prompt that Oracle America Inc software provider need to be allowed, go to the System Preferences and click Allow. It will prompt to reboot. Reboot
9. Open VB, install Extentions Pack 6.1.16
10. Enjoy

Would love to try this after a day of uninstalls, cleanup, recovery mode, terminal window, new installs but the link to the Development Snapshot VirtualBox-6.1.97-141967-OSX on wiki/Testbuilds does not work.....
antonypg

Post by antonypg »

I tried to get Virtual Box running on Big Sur a while back but with no luck.

However, today, I downloaded the latest version, 6.1.22, and installed it as normal. Before running, I checked in System Preferences, Security & Privacy tab, and noticed that it wanted me to approve "Oracle" software. Once I approved it, I restarted my iMac. On restarting, I launched VirtualBox and everything is now back up and running :D
rtreborb

Post by rtreborb »

I upgraded to Big Sur 11.4 today and am still seeing the same crashing issue with the latest version of VirtualBox (6.1.22r1440800). I do not see any prompt in Security & Privacy for me to allow VirtualBox/Oracle.

I have uninstalled/rebooted and reinstall/rebooted multiple times to no avail. I have not changed any csrutil settings and if I run "csrutil status", I can see it is enabled.

Is there any other approach which can be tried?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Please look at this viewtopic.php?f=8&t=100696&p=500106#p500103 see if it helps.
crazystress

Post by crazystress »

rtreborb wrote:I upgraded to Big Sur 11.4 today and am still seeing the same crashing issue with the latest version of VirtualBox (6.1.22r1440800). I do not see any prompt in Security & Privacy for me to allow VirtualBox/Oracle.

I have uninstalled/rebooted and reinstall/rebooted multiple times to no avail. I have not changed any csrutil settings and if I run "csrutil status", I can see it is enabled.

Is there any other approach which can be tried?
This solution worked for me in Big Sur 11.4:
ilgthegeek (dot) wordpress (dot) com (slash) 2018 (slash) 01(slash) 27(slash) macos-install-oracle-virtualbox-on-10-13 (Oracle rules don't allow me to put URLs with a just created account, so I have to fake it)

When to you are on recovery mode and options appears: Reinstall OS, Use time machine and so on, ignore it, open a terminal window located on the top menu > Utilities.

In my case the TEAM ID is the same that appears in the article, but I assume it's better to double check.
djblankinship

Post by djblankinship »

I have run into variations of this problem on Big Sur a few times. The latest was the install of MacOS 11.4 earlier this week and I noticed that I was getting the following error on startup of VirtualBox:

“Kernel Driver Not Installed (rc=-1908)”

For me, the fix was to uninstall and reinstall VirtualBox (and I was already on the latest version before this) and then going into the Security & Privacy section of the System Preferences to enable Oracle apps.
waterlou

Post by waterlou »

Following the solution here but never success. I never see the button in prefs for allowing oracle extensions. Today finally I success load the extensions, the keys are:

1. csrutil clear to reset csr settings that I may messed up in previous attempt to fix this.
2. call `kmutil trigger-panic-medic --volume-root "/Volumes/Macintosh HD"` after adding the developer Team ID.

cheers.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

djblankinship wrote:I noticed that I was getting the following error on startup of VirtualBox:
“Kernel Driver Not Installed (rc=-1908)”
We have a whole other sticky topic in this forum to discuss that issue, which is not restricted to Big Sur.
dtran

Post by dtran »

unis89 wrote:
vbox_tom wrote:For me none of the solutions above worked.

But what works (tested twice) is booting to recovery (cmd+R) and enabling all components of sip.

Open Terminal in Recovery and type:

Code: Select all

csrutil clear
reboot
Then uninstall and re-install virtualbox.
If needed go to System Preferences - Privacy - General and accept the extensions.
This works for me as well, thank you so much. Back to work!!
This works for me as well:
  • macOS Big Sur version 11.4
    VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 6.1.22 r144080 (Qt5.6.3)
Be sure to accept the extensions as noted in the System Preferences - Privacy - General section. I had to click on the Details button and then restart.
benpennell

Post by benpennell »

My VMs (centos 7) were working on Big Sur until I installed the update to 11.4. Now when trying to start any of them I get:

Stderr: VBoxManage: error: The virtual machine '<vm_name>' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine
This is with virtualbox 6.1.22. I have tried updating the KernelExtensionManagement chflags as described in this thread and elsewhere, but it doesn't seem to have any impact.

I also tried disabling SIP and installing the most recent development version of virtualbox, which got further, but was failing key based authentication in vagrant. I don't particularly want to end up with that setup anyways though.

Has anyone else encountered this?
apc0x77

Post by apc0x77 »

Be sure to accept the extensions as noted in the System Preferences - Privacy - General section. I had to click on the Details button and then restart.
For me it was the clue.

I've tried many ideas and suggestions with no luck, at the same time I was surprised why they showed me this Details button, but disabled? I was accustomed that all UI elements there were enabled for me.

Then I decided to to "unlock" the locked privacy settings to see if this helps to unlock greyed Details button.

It wasn't evident just because earlier I always was able to access any similar confirmations without performing unlocks explicitly. Then, after unlock I was able to click Details: I would never suspect that this could be the key point of success...

At the next step I was surprised that two Oracle entries were marked (checked) already, at the same time they were greyed out (disabled). This may give a sensation that everything is correct already (no :) )

Exactly at that point I was suggested to reboot to apply the changes. Since then everything started to work like a charm.

Unfortunately I can't reproduce the situation from scratch to provide useful shots as soon as even after uninstalling VBox, OSX continues to trust Oracle :) So I don't see that Details button anymore.
Infarinato

Post by Infarinato »

waterlou wrote:Following the solution here but never success. I never see the button in prefs for allowing oracle extensions. Today finally I success load the extensions, the keys are:

1. csrutil clear to reset csr settings that I may messed up in previous attempt to fix this.
2. call `kmutil trigger-panic-medic --volume-root "/Volumes/Macintosh HD"` after adding the developer Team ID.
Same here: followed almost every single suggestion in this thread, but the button in the System Preferences for allowing the Oracle extensions never ever showed for me. No. 2 (in Recovery Mode, of course) was the key for me. Thank you! :D
Franklin S Werren
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Windows 10, Linux

Post by Franklin S Werren »

It looks like the issue with Big Sur issues has a ticket almost 1 year ago.
It looks like the VM people thinks its a Beta and not a release. I am up to MacOS Big Sur 11.4 myself.
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/19795

Is there another VM that actually works using Big Sur as a host???
I am thrifty (Cheep) and retired .... Somewhat!!!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Franklin S Werren wrote: the VM people thinks its a Beta
A year ago, yes, but not now.
dengineer

Post by dengineer »

Such an annoying issue. I typically forget to check the setting after an update. I guess things went a little far in between updates and I go this error. Long story short, here is what I did to get it working:
  1. run the uninstaller
  2. run this command

sudo kextcache --clear-staging
  3. shutdown
  4. boot up
  5. install the virtual box to get the prompt to go to settings
  6. go to settings to allow Oracle in the general -> privacy section
  7. reboot
  8. test the virtual box , which failed because of the same error, so I had to
  9. re-install the virtual box and finally
  10. test virtual box and it worked this time.
The command and uninstall did not always result in a prompt, which is odd and so good luck everyone.

Update: I can start VMs but the network interface is broken, so back to square one.