Big Sur Host Issues

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Gallos

Re: Big Sur Host Issues

Post by Gallos »

I Find the topic ?f=8&t=100707 in this site and the error seems to be the same. (sorry i'm new member and I can post urls)
pipiche

Post by pipiche »

Any update please ?
junwu

Post by junwu »

I just solved the problem by turn on the System Integrity Protection (SIP)! After I upgraded to Big Sur, I have turn off SIP since it is required by Total Space 2 (a desktop management software).
Oracolo_di_Omaha

Post by Oracolo_di_Omaha »

junwu wrote:I just solved the problem by turn on the System Integrity Protection (SIP)! After I upgraded to Big Sur, I have turn off SIP since it is required by Total Space 2 (a desktop management software).
No mate, still same problem. In my opinion it needs an update from Oracle or Apple.

Other solutions?
FuToad

Post by FuToad »

Works for me out of the box so to speak.

FWIW, I had/have VB 6.1.6 r140961.

I played around on a spare Catalina. Upgraded to Big Sur. Installed VB. Copied over my ubuntu guest and fired it up.

One issue. It could not mount a host share. Got an error about rcp.statd not running. I started it and enabled it (it was disabled). Works.

So, I upgraded my daily driver. Got the same issue with share. Started rcp.statd. Works.

YMMV, of course, but works for me.

Edit: I also run a couple of Win10 VMs for testing. Also nominal behavior.
EricMCSE76
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10, Ubuntu 20, Windows 3.1

Post by EricMCSE76 »

Have any of the recent posts tried this fix? Everything I had tried didn't work but this did and has been working perfectly ever since. Just had to add to reinstall the guest additions afterwords. Pretty quick and easy. For me this was on a MacBook Pro, VirtualBox 6.1.16. Running both a Windows 10 and an Ubuntu 20 virtual machine.
vbox_tom wrote:For me none of the solutions above worked.

But what works (tested twice) is booting to recovery (cmd+R) and enabling all components of sip.

Open Terminal in Recovery and type:

Code: Select all

csrutil clear
reboot
Then uninstall and re-install virtualbox.
If needed go to System Preferences - Privacy - General and accept the extensions.

If someone needs to reset kext completely:
1 Boot into recovery and delete entries in kext database with sqlite3 commands.
2 Reset PRAM. (Disable Firmware Password before - if set)
3 Uninstall and re-install virtualbox
stefanmonkeybo

Post by stefanmonkeybo »

My fix process:

Exec in terminal

sudo kextcache --clear-staging
reboot
Enter recover mode

Open terminal in Recovery and type

csrutil clea
reboot
after restart mac
uninstall virtualbox and install

then exec in terminal

sudo kextload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv
sudo kextload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt
sudo kextload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp
sudo kextload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB
if output no such directory,then restart mac again

After that and my virtualbox work without error on macmini 2018 big sur 11.0.1

just for others
Infarinato

Post by Infarinato »

EricMCSE76 wrote:Have any of the recent posts tried this fix?
As a matter of fact, we I have. :) I followed stefanmonkeybo’s detailed instructions (BTW, thanks!), but, alas, it did not work. :(

Upon (re)installing VirtualBox (which otherwise installs fine), I get this warning four times (because of the four extensions, I guess), but with no option to consent to any of them in the System Preferences. :|

The same happens each time I issue one of the four kextload commands. Rebooting doesn’t appear to change things.

At the end of the whole procedure, VirtualBox appears to be up and running, but whenever I attempt to start any of my virtual machines, I get the infamous error. :roll:
secab

Post by secab »

So I was having problems running VBox (VB) with Linux guests on Big Sur host. I fixed the issue by following advice by a user (sorry I forget the name). He suggested to completely uninstall VB using dmg file then in terminal run [csrutil clear] and [reboot] (must be run with root permission in terminal). After reboot, fresh install VB from dmg file. Make sure to monitor you privacy & security, it will ask permission to restart. This worked for me running macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 and VirtualBox-6.1.16-140961-OSX.dmg. Hope this works for y’all!
ryman

Post by ryman »

secab wrote:So I was having problems running VBox (VB) with Linux guests on Big Sur host. I fixed the issue by following advice by a user (sorry I forget the name). He suggested to completely uninstall VB using dmg file then in terminal run [csrutil clear] and [reboot] (must be run with root permission in terminal). After reboot, fresh install VB from dmg file. Make sure to monitor you privacy & security, it will ask permission to restart. This worked for me running macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 and VirtualBox-6.1.16-140961-OSX.dmg. Hope this works for y’all!
I can confirm this works. The crucial part was to open Security & Privacy settings after re-installing VirtualBox. MacOS didn’t prompt any dialog for it, but on the front page of Security & Privacy you could see that Oracle was trying to install an extension. After unkeying the lock with admin password, approving the 3rd party extension installation and rebooting MacOS everything worked.
Infarinato

Post by Infarinato »

ryman wrote: I can confirm this works.
Whereas I can confirm this definitely doesn’t for me (…and for at least a couple of other people, as I understand). :(
ryman wrote: The crucial part was to open Security & Privacy settings after re-installing VirtualBox. MacOS didn’t prompt any dialog for it, but on the front page of Security & Privacy you could see that Oracle was trying to install an extension.
As I said, I never get this. Is it because of my OS language? Or maybe because there is some relic Oracle extension lingering on my system that never gets deleted? So I’m either missing a trick here (something that other people are automatically doing, but haven’t really detailed out in this thread) or, as someone else said, we need a completely different solution, possibly one that only Oracle or Apple can provide. :|
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

Can't find any indication of this issue being raised on Apple User Forums yet, so someone who is actually facing the problem probably needs to open a discussion topic there.

Searching around more generally, there is a potential manual kext installation method described here: https://osxdaily.com/2012/01/12/how-to- ... -mac-os-x/ It's from a long established independent support site with a good reputation, but I can't vouch for whether the relatively old method described still works on Cataina/Big Sur because I haven't had this problem with my installations. All other 'googled, responses I found were primarily about Hackintosh approaches which I have no interest in pursuing so....
drukepple

Post by drukepple »

Would just like to add the resetting SIP worked for me (vbox_tom's instructions)
enemyben

Post by enemyben »

Just adding details of confirmation. I get a similar situation to Infarinato.

Steps taken and result:

1)Uninstall Vbox, search mac for any vbox remainders except my VDI file, and delete. Restart
2) Install current test Vbox 6.1.17
3) Installation successful but does NOT give me any heads up about the security settings
4) Open Security & Privacy - no notices about Oracle/Vbox
5)Click on Full Disk Access, check VirtualBox to give it full disk access
6)Open Vbox, create new, link to existing VDI file
7) Start - immediately get Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Have also done these steps with csrutil clear, no change. Most interestingly is #4 - NEVER get any requests or info from the OS that Oracle/Vbox are installed
JMBTempest

Post by JMBTempest »

Solved this: MachineWrap
With a NVRAM/PRAM reset.
Attachments
error.jpg
error.jpg (61.39 KiB) Viewed 26075 times