Big Sur Host Issues

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
vbox_tom

Re: Big Sur Host Issues

Post by vbox_tom »

There is some progress in the bug ticket (still not solved completely).

You can follow it here.

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/19795#
vbox_tom

Post by vbox_tom »

There is a new workaround in the ticket in comment #69, hope this helps anyone who uses modified SIP settings.

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/19795#comment:69
ripacheco

Post by ripacheco »

I have two Big Sur Systems. VirtualBox works on one and not the other.

I have an iMac and an MacBook Pro both with Big Sur Version 11.1 and VirtualBox 6.1.16 r140961 is installed in both.

The iMac was upgraded to Big Sur with VirtualBox already installed.
Everything works ok on the iMac.

On the MacBook Pro has a new Mac OS install and I installed Virtual Box fresh.

the iMac works the MacBook Pro does not.

Though this may be useful to the powers-to-be here...
Towfieee

Post by Towfieee »

SibrenVe wrote:For me the issue was resolved after unblocking the software from Oracle that was suddenly blocked after the update. You might want to check out system preferences > security and privacy.
This also resolved my issue. I am on [VirtualBox-6.1.16-140961-OSX.dmg] and [macOS Big Sur 11.1]

After it failed the first time this is what I did:
- go to system preferences > security and privacy
- unlock to make a change
- unblock Oracle (might need a restart)
- Install Virtualbox again
- Linux VM started properly
tahchico

Post by tahchico »

hello, can anyone help me please? i do the same thing with Big Sur beta 11.2 but same error. why virtualbox cant do an update ? dont understand ???
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox does lots of updates. Perhaps you should be specific about your problem, rather than ask about a development schedule which none of us know.
mamkalover

Post by mamkalover »

Hi guys, I've faced that issue today and tried a lot of things and workarounds (no success, kernel error after running the VM on any version and "Oracle America Inc" permission request was not displaying in the System Preferences after the installation as It should in all the guides) but finally managed to get it working on my end, maybe that can be helpful.

Big Sur 11.0.1
1. Wipe what you have from script in the VB installation dmg
2. Reboot
3. Install Development Snapshot VirtualBox-6.1.97-141967-OSX at /wiki/Testbuilds
4. Try to open the installed VB (it will fail saying the application is not supported), close the warning
5. Go to the System Preferences -> Security And Privacy; There now surprisingly will be a prompt about the updated software providers list, click on the Lock, then click to review the updated providers (there were 2 in my case, "Oracle America Inc" and one more) and then allow everything, it will ask to reboot. Reboot.
6. Wipe everything again from the same script (step 1)
7. Install Test Build VirtualBox-6.1.17-141968-OSX at /wiki/Testbuilds
8. In the end of the install it finally will prompt that Oracle America Inc software provider need to be allowed, go to the System Preferences and click Allow. It will prompt to reboot. Reboot
9. Open VB, install Extentions Pack 6.1.16
10. Enjoy
PBear

Post by PBear »

After giving (an admittedly cursory) read to all 127 prior posts, I get the feeling that everyone is talking about Big Sur issues while ignoring the elephant in the room. That is, is anyone who's participating in this post possibly talking about trying to get VirtualBox to work on a version of Big Sur that's installed on a new Mac with the M1/ARM (rather than Intel) architecture? I blindly tried installing it on my new M1 Mac mini without even thinking that such a thing is probably impossible, at present anyway.

As far as I've now found out, getting any virtualisation application except Parallels Desktop to work on the new M1 Macs is something that is still months away. (Parallels is currently in M1-compatible beta with "Parallels 16 Preview" but it will only run ARM-based guests on an ARM-based computer presently, which is the same limitation that VirtualBox and VMware Fusion are facing even when they do manage to release an M1-compatible version of their respective applications.)

As far as I know, even the current beta builds of VirtualBox include no new code to make running on an M1 Mac even remotely possible at this time. Anyone, please feel free to correct me if I've got this wrong.

Cheers.
mark_g

Post by mark_g »

As for M1 Macs, there is separate threat for that. Looks highly unlikely to happen.
Search for this thread : ARM Macs: Will Virtualbox be ported ?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The latter discussion is stickied in the "OS X Hosts" forum.
cinges

Post by cinges »

This piece of crap is not working at all. I spent 6 hours to manage it to work, with no success. I red all steps described here to make it work, but its just dont.
I reinstalled it 60 times. I tried older versions, current versions, test versions, dev versions. I allowed everything in security, I restarted mac 100 times like retard. I allow oracle and then restart. I tried everything I red here. But it still crasher when Im trying to choose image.

I would post link to video, but I cant..

I have macbook pro 2015 15. Latest Big Sur
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine CentOS.

The VM session was aborted.

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: SessionMachine
Interface: ISession {c0447716-ff5a-4795-b57a-ecd5fffa18a4}
kombik88

Post by kombik88 »

But it still crasher when Im trying to choose image.
I was experiencing the same issue and wasted some time playing with installation\uninstall process, but found workaround.
On starting VM just ignore adding image, just close that pop-up. Then on VM screen at the bottom toolbar find disc icon and click on it and choose a disk file from context menu.
Hope it will help you.
mark_g

Post by mark_g »

I have waited to install Big Sur until I saw this thread "die out". Today I installed Big Sur 11.2, then updated right after to 11.2.1 . I am on a 2018 Mac Mini. I had a WIN 10 VB installed and running under VB 6.14. After updating to Big Sur, I also updated VB to 6.18. During that upgrade it told me to allow it under System Preferences-Privacy as others described above. I had not the slightest problem, my old VB came right up.
Georgelza

Post by Georgelza »

Count yourself lucky, run-in 11.2.1, totally cleaned machine, did the uninstall via VB, did a app cleaner cleanup also, download the newest version of VB, install VB, it asks me if it is allowed to do the system prev's for me, approve it, and when I open it, nada, same problems everyone has been having, doing a host network create network, fails, trying to start a VM fails with all the kernel errors.

:(

G
mark_g wrote:I have waited to install Big Sur until I saw this thread "die out". Today I installed Big Sur 11.2, then updated right after to 11.2.1 . I am on a 2018 Mac Mini. I had a WIN 10 VB installed and running under VB 6.14. After updating to Big Sur, I also updated VB to 6.18. During that upgrade it told me to allow it under System Preferences-Privacy as others described above. I had not the slightest problem, my old VB came right up.
Glinglo

Post by Glinglo »

I said goodbye to VirtualBox and moved to VMware Fusion, no problems up till now...