C: Drive Space

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Dharma

C: Drive Space

Post by Dharma »

Hi, I'm a beginner using Virtual Box in Mac.

I've storage space of 28 GB in my C Drive, and currently shows Used as 27 GB and Free Space as 1 GB.

If I check the total files in C Drive, its used 4 GB. So does this mean 23 GB has been used up by VDI? Because I started off with 15GB and increased the space thrice to accomodate 28 GB.

What am I missing here, any possibilities to increase free space? Thanks.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: C: Drive Space

Post by scottgus1 »

I assume that since you refer to a C drive, you are running a Windows guest. Windows hides many of its important files from the File Explorer by default. If 'This PC' says you have 27GB on the C drive, and only 1GB left, it is not lying. There are 27GB of data, some in hidden files & folders.

Web-search how to view Windows hidden files, also how to clean old data from the C drive. Both are common Windows activities that are the same on real PCs. Depending on what else you have installed, 27GB is not an unusual amount of data for a Windows installation. Time to expand the disk again. (There are ways to shrink the VDI down: vboxmanage modifymedium, compact option, Mpack's CloneVDI. But Windows will just fill it up again.)
Dharma

Re: C: Drive Space

Post by Dharma »

Thanks @scottgus1 for detailed reply. Will try to expand again and also look into shrinking VDI.