VBOX Kernal Panic IF More Than 1 Core is used

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
AidenMoonBow

VBOX Kernal Panic IF More Than 1 Core is used

Post by AidenMoonBow »

I am on a Macbook Pro Running the latest Mojave Build with the i7-9750H hexacore processor. I have 16GB Ram and 4GB Radeon pro 555x graphics. I am trying to run OS Lion in a VM as i loved that version because it was one of the last ones to use kind of a 3d effects on the window buttons and dock and i just want to have a little play around with it. The problem I seem to be having is when i try to give the vm at least 2 cores which i believe would work fine, it kernel panics me. however, when i lower the count to 1 core it works fine but the vm is unusable due to so much slowness and input lag at that point. Any tips or advice on how to get the vm up and running with multiple cores would be greatly appreciated
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: VBOX Kernal Panic IF More Than 1 Core is used

Post by multiOS »

You might be out of luck with that approach. See the Known Limitations Section of the VirtualBox User Guide. (Version 6.1.8, Page 330):

" - Mac OS X guests only work with one CPU assigned to the VM. Support for SMP will be provided in a future release."
AidenMoonBow

Post by AidenMoonBow »

Thank you for the information, greatly appreciated.
dmw7

Post by dmw7 »

multiOS wrote:You might be out of luck with that approach. See the Known Limitations Section of the VirtualBox User Guide. (Version 6.1.8, Page 330):

" - Mac OS X guests only work with one CPU assigned to the VM. Support for SMP will be provided in a future release."
Thank you, you saved me from some extra head banging. I wish VirtualBox could have some code to pop up a message saying "more than 1 cpu in a Mac guest is not supported".