Unable to install Extension Pack

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
isend
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP Pro

Unable to install Extension Pack

Post by isend »

(macOS 10.10.5)

My VirtualBox stopped working after I upgraded it to the current version. Error message is:
Implementation of the USB 2.0 controller not found!
Because the USB 2.0 controller state is part of the saved VM state, the VM cannot be started. To fix this problem, either install the 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' or disable USB 2.0 support in the VM settings.
Note! This error could also mean that an incompatible version of the 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' is installed (VERR_NOT_FOUND).
I tried to install Extension Pack from Preferences > Extensions, but failed (I had made sure that I used the same version extension pack as my VirtualBox). Then I tried the command in Terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo VBoxManage extpack install --replace Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.8.vbox-extpack
but got error messages as follows:
0%...
Progress state: NS_ERROR_FAILURE
VBoxManage: error: Failed to install "/Users/xxx/Downloads/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.8.vbox-extpack"
VBoxManage: error: Failed to load the main module ('/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.dylib'): VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND - dlopen(/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.dylib, 6): no suitable image found. Did find:
VBoxManage: error: /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.dylib: code signature invalid for '/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.dylib'

VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component ExtPackManagerWrap, interface IExtPackManager
VBoxManage: error: Context: "RTEXITCODE handleExtPack(HandlerArg *)" at line 1211 of file VBoxManageMisc.cpp
I then tried to downgrade VirtaulBox by installing older versions, but alway got the same error message when I tried to install Extension Pack for it. How should I resolve this problem? Thank you.
Sulzy

Re: Unable to install Extension Pack

Post by Sulzy »

I have had the same problem since I upgraded to 6.1.6, I am also running MacOS 10.10.5. I was hoping the problem would fix itself when I upgraded to 6.1.8 but the problem still persists. I can still boot my instance minus the extension pack which limits connecting USB devices. I have tried to add the extension pack through the GUI as well through the command line interface, same error every time. Hoping someone posts a fix here.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

IIRC there was a problem some time back where something couldn't be installed from the Downloads folder on a Mac.
Could you try moving the extpack to a less "protected" folder and try again?
Sulzy

Post by Sulzy »

Downloaded to a different folder, same result and same error.

Failed to load the main module ('/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.dylib'): VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND - dlopen(/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.dylib, 6): no suitable image found. Did find:
/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.dylib: code signature invalid for '/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.dylib'
fth0
Volunteer
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Sulzy wrote:Hoping someone posts a fix here.
I cannot post a fix, but I can tell you what the problem is:

While the (executable) files in VirtualBox 6.1.8 are signed using sha256 and sha1, the (executable) files in the VirtualBox Extension Pack 6.1.8 are only signed using sha256, and therefore cannot be verified under older macOS versions (< 10.12 AFAIK). I don't know if this is intended.

You could search the Bugtracker and create a new bug ticket if necessary.
tux999

Post by tux999 »

I got it work on my mac downgrading Virtualbox all the way back to 6.0 just for test sake. Not sure at what version it fails.
tillko

Post by tillko »

I just wanted to confirm that I am facing the exact same issue and the exact same solution worked for me. OS X 10.10.5, extension pack installation works on Virtualbox 6.0.0 but not on e.g. 6.0.22 or 6.1.10 (I did not try all available versions).
isend
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP Pro

Post by isend »

tillko wrote:I just wanted to confirm that I am facing the exact same issue and the exact same solution worked for me. OS X 10.10.5, extension pack installation works on Virtualbox 6.0.0 but not on e.g. 6.0.22 or 6.1.10 (I did not try all available versions).
Thank you. Downgrading it to 6.0.0 works for me, too.
macosax

Post by macosax »

I am runnig Mac OS X 10.10.5 as host and I was able to install VirtualBox 6.1.8 r137981 (Qt5.6.3) in combination with Extension Pack 6.1.2r135662.
I tried Extension Packs 6.1.4, 6.1.6 and 6.1.8 as well but got the same error messages as shown above. The Extension Pack 6.1.2 also worked with VirtualBox 6.1.4 which I figured out after I tried to install the Extension Pack 6.1.4 and it was not possible.
fth0 wrote: While the (executable) files in VirtualBox 6.1.8 are signed using sha256 and sha1, the (executable) files in the VirtualBox Extension Pack 6.1.8 are only signed using sha256, and therefore cannot be verified under older macOS versions (< 10.12 AFAIK). I don't know if this is intended.
It seems that this problem has to do with the outdated Mac OS Version Yosemite and I think it should be gone if we upgraded it to a more recent version.