Virtualbox 6.1.4 crashes on Catalina 10.15.4

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
RandomRob
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10, Ubuntu, Debian

Virtualbox 6.1.4 crashes on Catalina 10.15.4

Post by RandomRob »

Hi all,

I have a fresh build MacOS Catalina (10.15.4) running Virtualbox 6.1.4 and cannot get a Windows VM to build via the Microsoft Developer ovf for Win10 using the import process. I have been checking forums and confirmed that full disk access is permitted to VirtualBox. The VM starts to build and gets about 5 minutes into the process of loading the VMDK when it crashes with the attached dump. My hardware is a 13" MacBook Pro. Any assistance on further troubleshooting would be appreciated.

I am going to try and build a linux VM via ISO to see if that experience is different.

Thank you.
Attachments
VirtualBox-error.txt
crash log
(79.63 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
RandomRob
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10, Ubuntu, Debian

Re: Virtualbox 6.1.4 crashes on Catalina 10.15.4

Post by RandomRob »

Ok I think I have resolved this issue by installing the VirtualBox extension pack. Probably a rookie mistake to have not installed that as part of a normal build.

I found this out as I was able to install a Debian ova without issue but it wouldn't start, message came up advising I needed the extension pack for USB support. Once I installed it the Debian machine booted up and I was then able to load the Microsoft developer ovf build.

Cheers everyone.