MacOS Guest on MacOS Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
TYM8888

MacOS Guest on MacOS Host

Post by TYM8888 »

I have some programs that are not compatible with 64 Bit Catalina and hence want Mojave or High Sierra or any recent MacOS on VirtualBox. I have seen all tutorials and videos apparently the one step that I am unable to reach is the visibility of the VDI in 'Disk Utility'. So when I START in VirtualBox I end up in a screen with 'Shell' prompt. I downloaded Mojave and HighSierra from Apple Store, converted dmg to Cdr format, and then renamed simply to iso (wasn't successful doing it through hdiutil convert command). Created vdi with all correct parameters. I am using latest version of VirtualBox. Please help.
Attachments
Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (37.65 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (42.3 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (47.08 KiB) Viewed 2207 times
Last edited by TYM8888 on 31. Mar 2020, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: MacOS Guest on MacOS Host

Post by scottgus1 »

Please resize your 4K retina screenshots, they're big as my bed quilt :lol:

I don't have a Mac and I have not installed a Mac OS. But I have installed plenty of Windows and Linux OS's, and all of the modern OS's start in Virtualbox with a properly configured guest, an empty VDI disk file, and an install ISO.
TYM8888 wrote:visibility of the VDI in 'Disk Utility'.
If this is the host Mac's disk utility, mounting the VDI there might block the Virtualbox guest from starting. I may be wrong.... Mounting a guest' VHD virtual disk on the Window host blocks the guest from starting.

One of our Mac gurus Socratis has a tutorial for installing Mac in a Virtualbox guest: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=85631 He does mention opening Disk Utility, but does so inside the running installer in the guest, not on the host.

He also has a tutorial to make an ISO from the Mac installer files, viewtopic.php?f=22&t=81443

I suggest to undo what you have and follow his tutorials.
TYM8888

Post by TYM8888 »

Thank you for your response. Seen that already and seen it again and I am still lost.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

You could try the tutorial at https://www.whatroute.net/installerapp2iso.html

This is a gui wrapper app for Socratis' shell script. It probably does what you want.
TYM8888

Post by TYM8888 »

Thank you very much I have managed to get to the Mojave installation screen in the VBox. Created a VDI and now it is working fine.

Please advise how to adjust RESOLUTION of the desktop screen.

Please advise how to improve speed of cursor as guest preferences is not showing trackpad as installed though it is working.
escapeCode

Post by escapeCode »

First shut down the VM and exit VirtualBox completely.

For the of the resolution of your VM you can use vboxmanage e.g.:
VBoxManage setextradata "macOS VM name" VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution 1920x1080

Or edit the .vbox file manually which is found in the folder of the VM on the host (typically where the virtual disk is):

Code: Select all

<ExtraData> 
      <!-- place the line below with the resolution you want between the <ExtraData> tags that should already be there -->
      <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution" value="1680x1050"/>
    </ExtraData>
Hope this helps.