Copy/Paste not working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Jokinha

Copy/Paste not working

Post by Jokinha »

Hello,

I'm using VBox 6.1.4 r136177 and I'm running Ubuntu 1804.4LTS.

I wanted to make possible to Copy/Paste from my host (Mac Os X) to my guest and vice-versa.

So I started my guest, went to "Devices->Insert Guest Adittions CD Image..." and after that the Disk appeared in my guest Desktop.
I installed it (version 6.1.4), went to "Devices->Shared Clipboard->Bidirectional" and then restarted the Vbox.

However this dint't work. I can't copy/paste from host->guest or from guest->host.

Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Copy/Paste not working

Post by mpack »

See ticket 19336. It seems to be a bug introduced into the 6.1.4 GAs. You can either wait for the next VBox release, or install older GAs in the guest, e.g. from 6.1.2. There's also a test build (6.1.5) but you have to be sure to replace that the instant an official new release happens.
Jokinha

Post by Jokinha »

mpack wrote:See ticket 19336. It seems to be a bug introduced into the 6.1.4 GAs. You can either wait for the next VBox release, or install older GAs in the guest, e.g. from 6.1.2. There's also a test build (6.1.5) but you have to be sure to replace that the instant an official new release happens.
Hey, I installed GA 6.1.2 and it's now working! Thank you very much! :D
khurley

Post by khurley »

Virtual Manager: 6.1.4 r136177
I'm using a Mac OSX host (Mojave 10.14.6) and running a Linux (RHEL 7.7) guest Virtual Machine.

I can't get copy/paste to work.

I have followed this thread to no avail. The older version of GuestAdditions 6.1.2 does not work for me nor does the 6.1.4 version which matches my VM Manager.

I notice that when I get logged onto the RHEL guest, and run 'ps-Af |grep VBoxClient', I do see '/usr/bin/VBoxClient --clipboard' running with two processes.

However copy/paste from guest to host and vice versa does not work.

The GuestAdditions_6.1.2.iso is in the optical drive upon startup.

I have attached my log file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Attachments
VBox.log
latest log during problem behavior
(88.14 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Yes, you do seem to have the 6.1.2 Guest Additions ISO in a virtual CD drive. Unfortunately, uninstalled software on a CD drive is not helping anything: it needs to be installed. Currently you still have the 6.1.4 GAs installed, so naturally you still have the problem.
khurley

Post by khurley »

mpack,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure how to uninstall 6.1.4 and then reinstall 6.1.2.

What I've done so far is - insert the 6.1.2 CD in the optical drive and then go out to a terminal on the linux guest and run:

"rcvboxadd setup"

This seemed to indicate that it was removing installed software and rebuilding/installing the new... but no version information was displayed. I assumed it was pulling from the cd.

How should I go about this?
khurley

Post by khurley »

mpack,

I got it working.

I ran "rcvboxadd cleanup" and then double clicked the CD on my VM desktop holding the 6.1.2.iso. When the File Explorer showed the files - I ran the autorun.sh and this deleted 6.1.4 modules and installed 6.1.2 afterwards.

Now copy/paste is working.

Thanks
LarryA

Post by LarryA »

Unfortunately, reverting to GuestAdditions 6.1.2 didn't do the trick for me. I'm currently on VirtualBox 6.1.16, host is Catalina, guest is Raspberry Pi Desktop (debian). All else appears to be working fine...
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The above discussion concerned a bug in the 6.1.4 GAs, it is irrelevant if you are not using the 6.1.4 GAs.

Locking this obsolete topic.