no guest installation on Win7 64bit client

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
kkrabat

no guest installation on Win7 64bit client

Post by kkrabat »

Host iMac 2011, 27", OSX 11 (el capitan), VBox 6.1, Guest installation 6.1.4r136177 (not very obvious to locate for download, as I see it), 20GB RAM and SSD-startup (instead of DVD), filesharing set

Client Win7 Ultimate 64Bit, 8GB RAM, 35GB HD, Danish language and keyboard, cannot find common folder on network, in both Home and Public network discovery folders sharing, Media streaming, file sharing connections are ON, Password protection is off, Homegroup connections is set to to Windows managing homegroup connections. AND I can go on the net.

following several hours of tinkering and trying various versions of VB and corresponding guest installations there is still no Oracle guest installation in Win7's Program Files.

What am I missing? What else do I need to tell in order to present the problem clearly?

I have 30+ years of Mac experience, but am quite a Win novice. However, I DO need a win-installation for OCR - and have tried BootCamp (killed by Apple on older OSs, as far as I can gather) and bypassed Parallels due to pricing.

I shot some screens:
Guest installation in VB Preferences/Extensions
Guest installation in VB Preferences/Extensions
Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 18.59.32.jpg (34.25 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
VM manager shared folder
VM manager shared folder
Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 18.59.44.jpg (53.68 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
Cannot access shared folder on network
Cannot access shared folder on network
Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 19.00.30.jpg (45.97 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: no guest installation on Win7 64bit client

Post by scottgus1 »

\\vboxsrv is for Guest Additions Shared Folders, which needs Guest Additions installed inside the Guest OS. (I got the same error you got on a Windoss 7 guest: no GAs installed).

In the guest's Virtualbox window, Devices menu, Insert Guest Additions CD image, then run the installer in the guest's CD drive.
kkrabat

Post by kkrabat »

I cannot show links
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 11.17.08.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 11.17.08.jpg (67.54 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You don't need to "find" the Guest Additions. They were included with the VirtualBox main software install. The only reason the extension pack is a separate download is because it's covered by a different license.

Look at the user manual, follow the instructions. If there's something you need to download then the manual will say so.
kkrabat

Post by kkrabat »

INSIDE the app! That was new!

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction:

Page 80 of 391 pages in the manual
4.2.1.1 Installing the Windows Guest Additions

3. In the Virtual Media Manager, click Add and browse your host file system for the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso file.
• On Mac OS X hosts, this file is in the application bundle of Oracle VM VirtualBox. Right-click on the Oracle VM VirtualBox icon in Finder and choose Show Package Contents. The file is located in the Contents/MacOS folder.

4. In the Virtual Media Manager, select the ISO file and click the Add button. This mounts the ISO file and presents it to your Windows guest as a CD-ROM.

But I cannot make it work. The VBox manager does not present this to windows at startup.

this is pt. outside of my patience. Im not that kind of nerd anymore.
Last edited by kkrabat on 29. Mar 2020, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

scottgus1 wrote:In the guest's Virtualbox window, Devices menu, Insert Guest Additions CD image, then run the installer in the guest's CD drive.
Insert Guest Additions CD image 1.png
Insert Guest Additions CD image 1.png (50.07 KiB) Viewed 1632 times
kkrabat

Post by kkrabat »

Thank you. You are very patient.

The reason why i did not understand was because windows was in Full screen mode - so i did not understand which menues I should refer to.

Unfortunately I cannot display the mac-version of the install, as the screenshot shortcuts are disabled, when VBox is in the front (so cannot shoot menus).

If only there was an intuitive install rather than the almost 400 pages install manual.

But I can show this:
Attachments
Guest CD install finished.
Guest CD install finished.
Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 21.52.13.jpg (60.36 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

kkrabat wrote: Unfortunately I cannot display the mac-version of the install, as the screenshot shortcuts are disabled
Then you have to use the host to create screenshots, which is what I do anyway. Screenshots are disabled in OS X guests because there are no Guest Additions to do them, at least none to speak of.

It's a 400 page USER manual btw, not an installer manual. Installation is chapter 2, 12 pages.