Keyboard and trackpad past lost on guest OS (Win10)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
CarlosCL3

Keyboard and trackpad past lost on guest OS (Win10)

Post by CarlosCL3 »

Hi,

I have experienced this with all 6.1.X versions of Virtualbox running on a macbook pro with Catalina 10.15.3.

The problem is that every now and again the guest OS (Win 10) looses the keyboard and the trackpad (cannot input text not use the mouse in the windows system). It is as if the devices are kind of disconnected. I am sometimes able to recover the keyboard by sending a input->keyboard->ctrl-alt-del from the menu and running the taskbar to see if there is any application eating too much resources, but this is not the case.

Any help in solving this will be appreciated since this happens too often.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Keyboard and trackpad past lost on guest OS (Win10)

Post by fth0 »

If your VM is displayed in a window, then you can see the following three sources of information in the bottom right of the VM's window's status line (from right to left): The current host key, the key(board) state icon and the mouse state icon. Hover with your mouse over the mouse and key icons to get a popup window showing the meaning of the icons.
CarlosCL3

Post by CarlosCL3 »

Thanks for this. When the trackpad gets locked, I see the mouse has selected (mouse integration) Unchecking this sometimes recovers the trackpad for the guest OS and after checking it again keeps on working util the next failure, which unfortunately happens with quite some frequency. Please let me know if you need any further information.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

The next time the problem occurs, please note the absolute (clock) time, shut down the VM and post the zipped VBox.log file and the time.