Removing VM crashes VirtualBox app

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
SlaunchaMan
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 18.04

Removing VM crashes VirtualBox app

Post by SlaunchaMan »

The main VirtualBox GUI app, if open when you run a

Code: Select all

vagrant destroy
command that removes a VM, reliably crashes. Here’s a crash log.
Attachments
VirtualBox_2020-03-16-115553_porg.crash.zip
Crash log
(19.57 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Last edited by SlaunchaMan on 30. Mar 2020, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Running "vagrant destroy" crashes VirtualBox app

Post by scottgus1 »

Vagrant uses, but is not developed by, Virtualbox or supported here on the forum. We don't know how Vagrant works. You will probably need to ask them on their forums.
SlaunchaMan

Post by SlaunchaMan »

This same crash happened when I right-clicked a VM in the VirtualBox GUI and removed it. Here’s the crash log.
Attachments
VirtualBox_2020-03-26-133025_porg.crash.zip
(21.47 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Allow me to reiterate:
scottgus1 wrote:We don't know how Vagrant works....ask them on their forums.
SlaunchaMan

Post by SlaunchaMan »

That second crash has nothing to do with Vagrant. If I right-click a VM in the VirtualBox GUI and remove it, the GUI crashes. This is regular VM, not one created by Vagrant. If you’re going to be condescending, at least read the post.
tc0nn

Re: Removing VM crashes VirtualBox app

Post by tc0nn »

I see the exact same issue.
Whether I use vagrant destroy or right click
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I wasn't trying to be condescending, SlaunchaMan, and I'm sorry for sounding that way. However, your second post:
SlaunchaMan wrote:This same crash happened when I right-clicked a VM in the VirtualBox GUI and removed it.
gave absolutely no acknowledgement that you read my post, and your post mentioned nothing about specifically avoiding Vagrant while trying your test, only that you tried the test.

At least acknowledge others' posts.

Vagrant modifies Virtualbox in ways we cannot predict. Forum gurus' policy has been to require that Vagrant be completely removed from the computer before we try to troubleshoot.

Here is what I would recommend:
Reboot your Mac so no Virtualbox processes are running.
Go to /Users/{you}/Library, and move the 'VirtualBox' folder to your desktop. Moving this folder from where Virtualbox expects to find it resets Virtualbox to a theoretically pure state. Your guests will remain and can be re-registered.
Remove Vagrant completely.
Uninstall Virtualbox completely.
Reboot your Mac again.
Install Virtualbox again (but not Vagrant).
Start Virtualbox, make a new test guest (no need to install anything), and try to remove it.
If that works, register a never-Vagrant-influenced guest, run it, shut it down, and try to remove it.
If that works, register a Vagrant-influenced guest, run it, shut it down, and try to remove it.
If that works, reinstall Vagrant, then try the above tests again.
Let us know where the breakdown happens, if one does.
lsls

Post by lsls »

@scottgus1: How is crashing in any way a reasonable response to removing a VM? The question whether the quest has been externally modified is completely irrelevant. It doesn't matter. The UI must not crash. If there's an error while removing the VM, it should gracefully report the error to the user, not segfault.

@SlaunchaMan: There are other VB bugs that make the UI crash several times a day that remain unfixed for years even when reproduction steps are provided (my favorite is viewtopic.php?f=8&t=93863). I personally wouldn't bother troubleshooting further, you will most likely just waste time. If you still want to though, you could run Vagrant from the very beginning with debug logging enabled (VAGRANT_LOG=debug vagrant <command>) and see which VBoxManage (and other if any) commands are issued. You could then run the commands manually on a clean machine with brand new guest without involving Vagrant and see if you can still reproduce it.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

lsls wrote:How is crashing in any way a reasonable response
It isn't. And in most cases it doesn't. Never does on my hosts. In fact, I'm not quite certain how you arrive at (jump to?) the conclusion that I felt it was a reasonable response... But until we are sure no outside programs are influencing Virtualbox, we cannot be sure that the problem is in Virtualbox or in the other influencing program.

Though there are occasions reported on the forum where the main Virtualbox window crashes, the vast majority of forum posts are not about main Virtualbox window crashes. So this kind of issue does not happen much. Therefore it is highly likely that such a crash is caused by something local to the poster's PC, not in Virtualbox. And the original poster 'SlaunchaMan' does have Vagrant, a program the influences Virtualbox, on his host PC.

Some bugs take time to figure out. The link you posted does have a Bugtracker ticket on it and does have response from what appears to be a developer, so they're working on it. Gotta give the devs time. The devs have reported that they are overloaded with bugs and feature requests from the paying Oracle customers, so we beta-testers can only report and hope a paying Oracle customer happens to want the same bug fixed soon. The rest of us are freeloaders, we have to wait. SlaunchaMan's issue has not been fleshed out yet. We don't know what's causing it yet. And we may not until a non-influenced pure-Virtualbox-only test takes place.
lsls

Post by lsls »

@scottgus1: What do you mean by influencing VB? You make it sound like Vagrant is literally patching VB in some way. As far as I'm aware, Vagrant doesn't interact with VB (let alone VB's UI) in any other way but calling the official VBoxManage. But hey, I'd be more than happy to learn that Vagrant is doing something stupid and that it's all somehow Vagrant's fault because that way there's a much higher chance of this getting fixed.