FaceTime camera crashes Windows 10 VM on macOS Catalina host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
DrDoug

FaceTime camera crashes Windows 10 VM on macOS Catalina host

Post by DrDoug »

I've searched for a couple hours, can't find any mention of this anywhere.

I'm running a Windows 10 guest OS (Windows 10 Pro 1909) with VirtualBox 6.0.18 on a macOS Catalina (10.15.3) host. I've installed the Guest Additions and Extension Pack, and I'm able to see the webcam option through Devices > Webcams > FaceTime HD Camera. I'm also, alternatively able to add the webcam through a Terminal command in macOS. This issue is that every time I try to use the camera (using the Windows Camera app), the Windows guest quits unexpectedly.

I tried updating VirtualBox to 6.1 and rolling back to a prior version as well, and the issue reoccurs. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I would've expected to see VirtualBox allowed access to the camera through System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy, but it's not listed.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
rodrigo.chaparro

Re: FaceTime camera crashes Windows 10 VM on macOS Catalina host

Post by rodrigo.chaparro »

I just run into the same problem and I landed here in your post

but after looking into the logs I found this:

Termination Reason: Namespace TCC, Code 0x0

So I google that info and found that the error is due to the new Moojave / Catalina Policy for the apps using mic and camera just related to this post:
github dot com /opencv/opencv/issues/12763

(Sorry I am not allowed yet to post links)

So we need to rise a ticket and ask VirtualBox to enable the option to ask for permission (We are not able to add it manually to the camera section in Privacy and Security)

The work around so far is easy

Open a Terminal (works even with iTerm) and in there run the command

Code: Select all

virtualbox
start your virtual machine and click

Devices > Webcams > FaceTime HD

when starting the camera it will ask for permission (Terminal wants to access to camera) Just click allow and you will be able to use the camera in the VM

the only issue is that you need to have the terminal open while using VirtualBox but that's it
tnelson

Post by tnelson »

I'll add that I had to run Virtualbox as root to get this to work. Running as root enabled terminal to request access to the camera and microphone.

sudo virtualbox
aidandj

Post by aidandj »

Interesting tidbit.

It still crashed when I launched from a bash shell. I had to use

zsh -i -c "virtualbox"
to make it work.
user8172

Post by user8172 »

I just got Catalina running on virtualbox. I have not been able to sign into icloud whatsover...also trying to use facetime. How did you do this??