Audio not working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ncj

Re: Audio not working

Post by ncj »

The issue exists in v 6.1.8 as well.
Gray

Re: Audio not working on the Host-Mac OS Catalina v10.15.5 (19F101)

Post by Gray »

I have the same issue on Mac OS Catalina v10.15.5 (19F101) [Host].
Power on the VMs, audio is lost on the host [I can see you tube playing, but cannot hear anything]. Power off the VMs, audio resumes on the Host.

Can someone suggest what am I missing ?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

@Gray. You cross posted that same text into 5 different topics. Cross posting is against the forums rules, so I just deleted 4 of them. I was strongly tempted to make it 5. Please don't cross post again.
Henzel

Post by Henzel »

I have the same issue. I use VB 5.2.40, Host=Mac OS Catalina (10.15.5), Guest=Ubuntu 20.04.
My trick to have sound during VM use: I play audio (e.g. using Spotify), or I start an audio/video call using MS Teams. While doing that, I start (or resume) the VM. Then audio remains Ok at the host.
As soon as I end using the audio device, all audio (mic+speakers) is cut off and will only start working again after stopping the VM.
lucia.b

Post by lucia.b »

SOLUTION: When the virtualBox opens and asks you to start your machine to to system preferences and disable audio
gervasolla

Post by gervasolla »

After searching for hours and no answer then waiting for virtualbox team fixed this problem. :| :| :|
cdspurgeon

Post by cdspurgeon »

Encountered same issue while working on two newly created VMs while completing an online Oracle class. I didn't understand what the issue could be, as I completed another course with different Oracle DB VMs without issue. I then noted the comment above about reducing the memory of the VMs. I noted that in my previous ones, they only used 2 GB RAM each (required running two, as it was a Golden Gate course on replication). The course for RAC had me set up two VMs of 4 GB each, and it was with these VMs that I encountered the sound issues. I ended up lowering them both to 3 GB each (as the 2GB would cause the Oracle services in them to not start), and this seems to have resolved my sound issues.
cdspurgeon

Post by cdspurgeon »

So, I may have spoke too soon, but it definitely does appear to be a memory thing. The sound worked for a bit, and then stopped. I looked in Activity Monitor, and even though I had both VMs set to only 3 GB of memory, both were using 6.4 GB of memory, taking up most of my physical RAM. Total system usage at the time (including Safari which I was running the training from) was 14 out of 16 GB. I have been reading that coreaudiod in Catalina can be a bit of a memory user, as well...so my guess is that coreaudiod is crashing and unable to restart when VirtualBox takes that much memory, because the sound didn't even come back after I closed out VirtualBox...I had to force quit coreaudiod from Activity Monitor to make it reboot itself.

I do have to wonder why each VM ended up using twice the memory I allotted to it! When I looked at the size of swap, I have to wonder if it is using physical memory for swap instead of the allocated hard drive.
Giba

Post by Giba »

For setup here iMac internal speakers are used here. However for purpose of some online training I like to have audio in BT headset. Headset is attached to iMac and selected as output device.
If system sounds are routed to headset however audio from VirtualBox guest is still routed to host internal speakers is it the same issue as addressed in this thread?

VB 6.0.24
Guest Ubuntu 18.04 latest official release
Host macOS 10.12, latest available version
Ildar

Post by Ildar »

Confirmed for HOST
VB 6.1.22 r144080 (Qt5.6.3) 10.15.7 (19H1030) MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports) 16 ГБ 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Linux aim-server.crtdev.local 5.12.1-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun, 02 May 2021 12:43:58 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux