Audio not working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Fraggle2

Audio not working

Post by Fraggle2 »

Hi,

thank you for providing VirtualBox on MacOs.

I have installed VirtualBox 6.1.2 on the latest MacOs Catalina, on a 2018 Mac Mini. Inside Windows 10 x64 is running with the guest additions installed.
Unfortunately the sound is not working. Windows seems to play sounds but I can not hear them. Furthermore, all Mac applications are also silenced until I shut down the VM.
I have read that quite a few other people have this or a similar problem. You recommended to "simplify" the sound setup. But I don't see anything special about my setup, I have external speakers plugged into the mac, enabled this in the system settings - that's it. The VirtualBox sound settings are unchanged from default.

Could you help me with this problem and guide me through debugging this problem if needed? I am quite new to MacOs.

Thank you and Regards.
saijanai

Re: Audio not working

Post by saijanai »

I am thinking that VIrtual Box is not playing nice with Mac Catalina. You need to be able to give access for sound and microphone and such via the security/privacy panel, but VIrtual BOx never requests it and so your sound doesn't work.

At least, it needs to request microphone access, and never does. Not sure if sound access request is required, but I can't get input OR output out of Mac host catalina and Mac guest High Sierra.
ncj

Post by ncj »

I have what appears as the same issue. During the boot, the audio for the host disappears. It appears to make no difference if the audio for the VM guest enabled or not. I've booted with and without the guest extensions, both exhibit the same outcome. Host is macOS Catalina that is up to date.

After the VM is shutdown, the host audio will return, but it has a slight echo at the end of any audio play, just as the audio ends it stutters.

I've attached to logs show with and without extensions.
Attachments
logs.zip
(73 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
russ_vb

Post by russ_vb »

I have the same issue. A new MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) with the latest VirtualBox download will block all sound output and microphone input when the VM is running.
gcivil

Post by gcivil »

Same here, upon starting a linux VM all sounds disappear from my Mac. Has there been any solution?
I keep seeing references to "simplifying" sound set up, I want to try but cant see how to actually do the said simplification
ivanco77

Post by ivanco77 »

I have the same issue. A new MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) with the latest VirtualBox downloadl blocks all sound output and microphone input when the VM is running. Sound and mic back after VM is closed. Switching Audio Off doesn't help.
Fraggle2

Post by Fraggle2 »

Meeanwhile I additionally installed Linux on the same hardware (not in a VM) and the sound works perfectly with the same VirtualBox version for Linux. Virtual Windows is prforming even better than on macos host.
No need to "simplify the setup"...
russ_vb

Post by russ_vb »

For me, the issue seems to only affect pre-existing .vdi images.

I created a new Windows 10 guest using a Windows 10 .iso and the audio didn't stop working. It doesn't fix the old .vdi though. When I start the old .vdi, the sound stops working. The audio settings are the same.
ncj

Post by ncj »

I've notice something else, on an older non-touchbar MacBook Pro, the audio works fine with the VM (copied over), with no settings being changed. On the Touch Bar MacBook Pro, if I reduce the RAM for the VM to 3G (8G Mac) the audio works, I wouldn't know if the 50% mark, or the 4G is important, but the reduced RAM footprint seems to solve the issue.
 Edit: ; After an initial failure at the 3G RAM, a reboot later the 3G RAM option is stable with respect to the operation of audio of the host.

I've added a bug report for this; https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/19523 
ganura

Post by ganura »

russ_vb wrote:I have the same issue. A new MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) with the latest VirtualBox download will block all sound output and microphone input when the VM is running.
I have the same issue. Any solution to fix this please.
Berg

Post by Berg »

I have this issue also after run two or more Linux VMs (with 3-5Gb each) on the MacBook Pro (13-inch TB, 2018) with 16Gb RAM
tried Virtualbox versions 6.1.2, 6.1.4, 6.1.6, 6.0.14, 6.0.18, 6.0.20, 5.2.38, 5.2.40 - all have same issue

with One Linux VM no problem
Berg

Post by Berg »

also I tried disable Audio in both Linux VMs settings and run them - it's didn’t help.
Sound was not work on the host machine with latest Catalina average in 15 minutes , after stop one Linux VM and sound back with another only one worked Linux VM
js1947

Post by js1947 »

Encounter this on iMacPro. VB is 6.1.6. I onlly have 1 ubuntu desktop vm. The host audio works fine. But no sound from vm.
Berg

Post by Berg »

Berg wrote:I have this issue also after run two or more Linux VMs (with 3-5Gb each) on the MacBook Pro (13-inch TB, 2018) with 16Gb RAM
tried Virtualbox versions 6.1.2, 6.1.4, 6.1.6, 6.0.14, 6.0.18, 6.0.20, 5.2.38, 5.2.40 - all have same issue
with One Linux VM no problem
also I tried disable Audio in both Linux VMs settings and run them - it's didn’t help.
Sound was not work on the host machine with latest Catalina average in 15 minutes , after stop one Linux VM and sound back with another only one worked Linux VM
additional updates
when I run two or more Linux VMs and sound works but always sound not works after wake-up my macbook and restart `coreaudiod` process sometimes helps sometimes no
but always when I shutdown one mashine and restart `coreaudiod` process - sound back
Attachments
DebianRemote-2020-05-08-11-59-58.log
Logs for Debian 10 with GA 6.1.7
(121.83 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
davenorth
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Various Debian & Ubuntu

Post by davenorth »

I doubt this will help, but my MBA 2020 i5 goes nuts if I sleep/resume either the running Debian VM or the MBA. Maxes out the processor until I shut down the VM. I never got the sound to work with a zillion variations, so I just said chuck it and turned sound off in the VM prefs. Immediately the sleep/resume problem went away. This is Catalina, of course. Still running Vbox 6.0.20 as I had no real luck with 6.1.6 at all. Maybe I can now.