How do I create a macOS High Sierra virtual machine from an existing boot disk or image?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
gctwnl

How do I create a macOS High Sierra virtual machine from an existing boot disk or image?

Post by gctwnl »

I have a boot disk and an image of a High Sierra boot disk. I'd like to turn either into a VirtualBox VM. How?

Note: creating a new macOS High Sierra and then using Migration or Time Machine is not an option as it is a Server machine and migration does not migrate Server configuration.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: How do I create a macOS High Sierra virtual machine from an existing boot disk or image?

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm no Mac guru, but Virtualbox essentially provides 'hardware' you can do anything with that you can do with a real computer.

How would you install an image on a real Mac? Do the same to a Virtualbox guest running on a Mac (*). The Virtualbox manual section 1 shows how to start a guest and install an OS from a CD or ISO.

Getting the image into the virtual environment can be tricky. On a Windows PC one could make a VHD virtual disk, mount it on the PC, load the image into the VHD, then unmount it and attach the VHD to the guest as a second drive. Try to figure out how to do something similar on you Mac.

If your image was a Macrium image I would suggest using a Macrium boot CD on the guest with the mounted VHD and restore the image to the guest. How to do this with a Mac image would be a subject for a Google search.

(*) You need to have Mac hardware to legally run a Mac guest. See OSX guests on non-Apple hardware