Access rights to shared folder frequently lost in Windows 10 (as guest)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
LaurentD

Access rights to shared folder frequently lost in Windows 10 (as guest)

Post by LaurentD »

Hello all

I'm using macOS Catalina as host, VirtualBox 6.1.0, and Windows 10 Family as guest.
Creating a shared folder, to make visible a mac folder from the guest is not a problem.

Everything works well ... during few days (with a daily use of the VM).

And then for a mysterious reason (that I obviously don't understand yet), the shared folder is no more accessible from Windows 10.

Note that during this period, Windows 10 is not updated and nothing is installed.

The workaround I found : remove the shared folder configured in VirtualBox management window, and recreate it. It's solved ... for few days, and troubles come again :-(

Since few days, my workaround doesn't work anymore.

I still don't know on which side the trouble is : host, guest, or either.

The error message displayed on guest side is "You do not have access rights to \\VBoxSvr\Folder\"

If someone had this kind of issue and managed to solve it, I would be pleased to know how !

Thanks to have read my boring message ...
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Access rights to shared folder frequently lost in Windows 10 (as guest)

Post by scottgus1 »

I don't understand how the Windows guest would change the host folder's permissions. Virtualbox just connects the guest to the host's folder, no permissions are involved merely making the connection. It seems to me, though I'm no Mac guru, that the host is changing the permissions.
LaurentD wrote:remove the shared folder configured in VirtualBox management window, and recreate it.
From this it appears that you are using Guest Additions Shared Folders. Please explain the exact steps you take to make a shared folder, including any steps taken on the host OS.

Also, be sure to shut down the guest each time when you're done with it, instead of save-stating the guest. In this way the guest will always start from cold boot. This will be needed the next time the shared folder fails, because we will need you to provide a cold-start and fully-shut-down guest vbox.log to help us see what might be happening. After shutting down the guest, zip the vbox.log and post the zip file using the forum's Upload Attachment tab, next time the shared folder fails.