Mount CentOS 7 guest folder on Mac OS X host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
PompDA

Mount CentOS 7 guest folder on Mac OS X host

Post by PompDA »

I've been looking all over and I must be missing something.

How can I set up a shared folder from a CentOS 7 Linux guest and mount it on a Mac OS X host? I am aware of the VirtualBox Guest Additions and I do have folder sharing set up from host to guest, but I need to do the opposite.

From what I've read I should be able to use Samba, but I've been trying things using information that don't exactly match my scenario.

I've tried a few things but so far when I try to connect from the Mac using "Go to Server" I get errors saying that the share doesn't exist. I tried using the guest name as well as the vm ip address.

What is the easiest way to do this?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Mount CentOS 7 guest folder on Mac OS X host

Post by mpack »

This is actually not a VirtualBox question, because the answer is the same as if you had physical Mac and a physical Centos 7 PC side by side. I.e. you designate a true shared folder inside Centos 7 (Google for how), and both PCs much be visible to each other on a common network (see bridged or "host only" networking in the networking chapter of the user manual). There may also be permissions that need to be configured on both sides: I can't say since I don't use either OS.