Version number discrepancy

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Snowhog
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Kubuntu Linux

Version number discrepancy

Post by Snowhog »

I downloaded VirtualBox-5.2.36-135684-OSX.dmg (I have an iMac). I installed this new update. I was running 5.2.34 before.

When I launched VirtualBox and checked the version, it reports as 5.2.35 r135669. I verified that I had downloaded the correct .dmg file; I had; and reinstalled it again. Same results. The version is showing as 5.23.5.

Is this a version numbering error? There isn't a 5.2.35 folder on the download page.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Version number discrepancy

Post by mpack »

I don't think this qualifies as a generic "Using VirtualBox" question. Topic moved to "OS X Hosts".
Snowhog

Post by Snowhog »

Well, as all the files in the 5.2.36/ folder (http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.36/) specify -5.2.36-, the host OS one is using isn't germane, so I believed posting in the General forum was the best place. No matter.

The files indicate they are version 36, but when installed, report as version 35, at least mine did. Either the files are for version 35 and named incorrectly, or are actually version 36, but reported incorrectly when installed. In either case it represents a problem that needs to be addressed.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Snowhog wrote:Well, as all the files in the 5.2.36/ folder (http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.36/) specify -5.2.36-, the host OS one is using isn't germane, so I believed posting in the General forum was the best place.
Your report specifically mentioned the DMG file, hence OS X hosts only. No one else is going to check the version in a DMG file. If you wanted to raise a general point about 6.1.2 then a better place would be the 6.1.2 discussion topic.
Snowhog

Post by Snowhog »

It isn't about version 6.1.2. I'm using/running the 5.2 series. Geez.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Snowhog wrote:It isn't about version 6.1.2. I'm using/running the 5.2 series. Geez.
I'm carrying on many parallel discussions at the moment, most having to do with the new 6.1.2 release. I momentarily mistook your case for one of the others.

Anyway, why the attitude? Do you have a support contract? If yes then contact your support rep. Meanwhile, this is a discussion forum, and the details of your problems are WAY down my list of priorities.
brec
Guest OSses: Win10

Post by brec »

Snowhog wrote:I downloaded VirtualBox-5.2.36-135684-OSX.dmg (I have an iMac). I installed this new update. I was running 5.2.34 before.

When I launched VirtualBox and checked the version, it reports as 5.2.35 r135669. I verified that I had downloaded the correct .dmg file; I had; and reinstalled it again. Same results. The version is showing as 5.23.5.

Is this a version numbering error? There isn't a 5.2.35 folder on the download page.
Eerie similarity to a problem several of us have reported in attempting to update from 6.0.14 to 6.0.16: the 6.0.16 .dmg installs 6.0.15. Some examples:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=96442
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=96464
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=96443