Why I moved to VMWare

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
charles_w

Why I moved to VMWare

Post by charles_w »

I need Windows on Mac, I need various versions of Mac on Mac and I need Linux on Mac.

I have used Virtualbox since 4. progressed thru 5. and for the most part was quite happy with the Windows on Mac performance and reliability (Mac on Mac less so, but I managed).

Virtualbox 6 was a disaster for me, crashes galore, so solutions in site even after waiting past several update.

I tried the demo of VMWare Fusion out of desperation trying to install OSX Mojave onto a machine which was essential for my work.

It's a much smoother implementation, no more picking around trying to fix issues, so far, not a single crash or issue, even just completed an update of Mojave without issue - try that on VBox!!

I don't like paying for software when there is a free option, but the time I have saved/saving has made it a no brainer.

It made such a difference I felt a need to share what I learned, not a bot or an ad.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Why I moved to VMWare

Post by mpack »

Fine, but I don't think you understood your role here. Oracle is not a charity and VirtualBox has never been free, it has always been a commercial product.

It should be obvious IMHO that the purpose of the free version is to find bugs, and we are the expanded pool of testers. So complaining that the bleeding edge edition of VirtualBox isn't as stable as a paid product - well that may be so, but it misses the point. Especially so right now when we're at the beginning of a new development cycle (brand new graphics emulations introduced - very crashy, lots of incompatibilities and performance issues).