VDI corruption

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
natwoc

VDI corruption

Post by natwoc »

I have a Windows VM with a vdi file DH, the file has become corrupt. when booting the device, windows says it need to repair the disk, and once complete, i can only get to the command prompt and find windows is only partially there, and all my files have gone. can i do anything to svae anything?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VDI corruption

Post by scottgus1 »

natwoc wrote:with a vdi file DH
Does that 'DH' mean something?

You could try Mpack's CloneVDI, using Wine. If CloneVDI can find the problem, it'll find it.

Alternatively, connect the disk file to another guest and see if any files can be recovered.
natwoc wrote: repair the disk, and once complete, i can only get to the command prompt and find windows is only partially there, and all my files have gone
If you tried this without making a backup copy of the vdi, then your data is probably kaput.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VDI corruption

Post by mpack »

I doubt if CloneVDI will be able to repair the disk in this case. If I interpret correctly, the OP says that the VM boots, which it would not do if the VDI headers were corrupted. I.e. this is probably not a corrupt VDI.

Corruption inside the guest OS filesystem would have to be repaired by guest OS tools.

Scott's suggestion of using a second VM to get at the files sounds to me more likely to work.