[Resolved] Virtual Monitor Resolution

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Hoodles

[Resolved] Virtual Monitor Resolution

Post by Hoodles »

Hi!

I'm new to Virtual Box and not very techie so you'll have to explain things simply to me. The screen resolution on my virtual monitor is very tiny at 2668x1524 and when I try to change it to 1152x864 instead of everything in the virtual monitor getting larger the whole desktop gets smaller (I see the typical windows desktop image sitting in a field of black) and when I try to make the virtual monitor smaller and then full screen again it goes back to the 2668x1524 resolution.

These are my stats:

I have a Macbook Pro running macOS 10.15.1 (just installed today)
Virtual Box is running Windows 10
Virtual Box 6.0.14 (just installed today)
I'm running Revit 2018 in it but it is too small to see at this resolution.

I remember when I first installed Virtual Box over the summer I was have the same problem maximizing the Windows desktop within the virtual monitor and I found an online fix but now I'm wondering if I messed it up?

Let me know!
Last edited by socratis on 6. Nov 2019, 00:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual Monitor Resolution

Post by socratis »

Hoodles wrote:I have a Macbook Pro running macOS 10.15.1
I bet it's a Retina one, since it can run 10.15.x

Go to the "VirtualBox Preferences" (NOT the VM Settings) » "Display" » "Scale Factor", set that to 200%. Your guests should be looking much more like they're supposed to...

BTW, moving to "OSX Hosts" from "OSX Guests". Please pick the forum sub-section carefully if you want to find the correct audience... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Hoodles

Post by Hoodles »

Thanks! That worked!

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

No problemo, and glad I could help. Marking as [Resolved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.