BootCamp into VirtualBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
wazdra

BootCamp into VirtualBox

Post by wazdra »

Hello !

I have (surprisingly easily) managed to boot into my BootCamp partition (Windows 10 64bit) inside VirtualBox, on my MacOS system.
However, this is not a straightforward setup : since I still expect to use this partition using bootcamp, I'd rather avoid installing guest additions on Win10.
And, there is only one thing I need from GA : improve the resolution of guest window.
Should I try to change the resolution without GA, or should I find a way to install GA such that it doesn't create issues when booting directly through BootCamp ?

Waz
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: BootCamp into VirtualBox

Post by socratis »

wazdra wrote:I have (surprisingly easily) managed to boot into my BootCamp partition (Windows 10 64bit) inside VirtualBox, on my MacOS system.
Could you share the details please? It would be useful to get a new, fresh look at this age-old problem...
wazdra wrote:I'd rather avoid installing guest additions on Win10.
There is a single only reason to do that; the mouse driver. More on that below...
wazdra wrote:And, there is only one thing I need from GA : improve the resolution of guest window.
And that's how they get you! :)
wazdra wrote:Should I try to change the resolution without GA
Who's stopping you?
wazdra wrote:should I find a way to install GA such that it doesn't create issues when booting directly through BootCamp ?
As mentioned there's an issue with the "VBoxMouse.sys" and you won't believe how old ticket #1633: Windows XP cannot boot natively after installation of Guest Additions (BSOD during boot) is.

It's from 2008-05-29 06:19:47 UTC, that's 11 1/2 (ELEVEN AND A HALF) years old! :o

I don't have a Bootcamp setup, but I do have an external Win10-64 disk which I 1) boot my MBPr, 2) use it with the rawdisk option. I too have the same issue as ticket #1633. There is a way to get around it and if I remember correctly is to not allow Windows updates while in native mode, only do Win10 updates while in a VM. Could be wrong, it's been years since I last tried it...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
wazdra

Post by wazdra »

socratis wrote: Could you share the details please? It would be useful to get a new, fresh look at this age-old problem...
So, I have found infos around, but basically, I have created a raw vmdk for both my BootCamp partition and my EFI partition with

Code: Select all

VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -rawdisk /dev/disk0 -filename win10raw.vmdk -partitions 1,3
(with privileges)
Then, I plugged it into a brand new virtual machine, set up for Win10. (For this to work, disable SIP, if you haven't already)
The important settings are : EFI enabled, IDE Controller in ICH6 mode.
socratis wrote:
wazdra wrote:Should I try to change the resolution without GA
Who's stopping you?
My lack of knowledge... Do you, by any chance, have any idea on that matter ?
socratis wrote:As mentioned there's an issue with the "VBoxMouse.sys" and you won't believe how old ticket [...] is.

It's from 2008-05-29 06:19:47 UTC, that's 11 1/2 (ELEVEN AND A HALF) years old! :o

I don't have a Bootcamp setup, but I do have an external Win10-64 disk which I 1) boot my MBPr, 2) use it with the rawdisk option. I too have the same issue as ticket #1633. There is a way to get around it and if I remember correctly is to not allow Windows updates while in native mode, only do Win10 updates while in a VM. Could be wrong, it's been years since I last tried it...
Ok, so I definitely won't install GA... Regarding the 11 years old ticket, I guess no one wants to go deep into windows system, wonder why :roll:
wazdra

Post by wazdra »

Ok, so I managed to change the resolution. My problem was that I was trying to use

Code: Select all

setextradata CustomVideoMode
while it's actually the VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution that I needed to change (or maybe both ?)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

wazdra wrote:while it's actually the VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution that I needed to change (or maybe both ?)
Of course! I should have mentioned/thought of that... :?

If you're using EFI for boot, the only way to change the resolution of a VM that doesn't have the GAs installed is with the "VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution" extra data. My "MBP-Win10-Raw" VM has that option too, even though I have the GAs installed.

No you don't need both options, the "CustomVideoMode" one doesn't have any effect on an EFI-booting VM.
wazdra wrote:I have created a raw vmdk for both my BootCamp partition and my EFI partition ... disable SIP ... IDE Controller in ICH6 mode
Thank you for the "recipe". However I don't think you need the IDE controller in ICH6 mode. I believe that a good old SATA would suffice.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.