Shared Drive and shared clipboard not available / unable to setup

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Stefan Weiss

Shared Drive and shared clipboard not available / unable to setup

Post by Stefan Weiss »

Dear all,

I´m writing to you as I've searched the Internet on my issues and did not find any help to a hopefully very "easy" issue to solve, which is more than awkward to me.

I´ve installed the the lastest Version of Virtual box including the WIN 10.iso file to my MacBook Pro which runs Mojave 10.14.6 (18G1012). Everything is working fine, but I can not link / establish shared drives nor Shared Clipboard functionality to the VM.

All I´ve read was, to click the appropriate boxes in the setting section, but in the end it does not work at all.

So, I´m a little lost and look for help as I need to work at a Windows environment to sort out some work.

Look forward hearing from you.

Kind regards
Stefan
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Shared Drive and shared clipboard not available / unable to setup

Post by socratis »

Stefan Weiss wrote:as I've searched the Internet on my issues and did not find any help to a hopefully very "easy" issue to solve
Have you tried the User Manual? It's your best go-to reference. First of all, you need the Guest Additions for the Shared folders to work. See ch. 4. Guest Additions and keep on reading until you reach ch. 4.3. Shared Folders.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Stefan Weiss

Post by Stefan Weiss »

Thanks very much for your swift reply. No, but will do it straight away.

Keep you informed.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Sure thing... Anything that looks/reads as complicated, feel free to ask. ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Stefan Weiss

Post by Stefan Weiss »

socratis wrote:Sure thing... Anything that looks/reads as complicated, feel free to ask. ;)

Dear Socratis,

sorry, I just feel a little bit like unable to do this thing, but going through the book I've trying to do this:

------
Start the virtual machine in which you have installed Windows.

Select Mount CD/DVD-ROM from the Devices menu in the virtual machine's menu bar and then CD/DVD-ROM Image. This displays the Virtual Media Manager, described in Section 5.3, “The Virtual Media Manager”.

In the Virtual Media Manager, click Add and browse your host file system for the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso file.

---

and only got this reply on the windows screen (See Attachement). I´m unable to select the .iso file which I´m downloaded to my drive.

When I´m just at the first page of "Oracle VM Virtual Box Manager) I can see that on SATA-Port 1: Optical Drive VBoxGuestAdditions.iso has been mounted / installed.

Any idea of what to do?

Maybe its better to reinstall the VM Software and start from scratch. What do you think?

Kind regards
Stefan
Attachments
Windows Screen...
Windows Screen...
Screenshot at Nov 05 13-26-23.png (103.66 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Stefan Weiss wrote: I´m unable to select the .iso file which I´m downloaded to my drive.
That's odd. I don't recall anything in the user manual that says I need to download anything in order to install the Guest Additions.
Stefan Weiss

Post by Stefan Weiss »

mpack wrote:
Stefan Weiss wrote: I´m unable to select the .iso file which I´m downloaded to my drive.
That's odd. I don't recall anything in the user manual that says I need to download anything in order to install the Guest Additions.
I´d say so. Either the described way in the manual (mentioned earlier) nor any other way will work.

What can I do?