Catalina upgrade and Virtual Box error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
bucknaked
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: None

Re: Catalina upgrade and Virtual Box error

Post by bucknaked »

That’s the point. It doesn’t matter what it means. It failed. That’s why we need to do it explicitly.
Last edited by bucknaked on 30. Oct 2019, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

bucknaked wrote:It doesn’t matter what it means.
Yes, it absolutely matters! If the installer fails, we need to know why. If it turns out the it's the kexts not loading properly, we need to know why.

Not blindly apply a band-aid... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bucknaked

Post by bucknaked »

You need to know why. We don’t need to know why. We are not software engineers. We need to fix it and move on with our lives. Not sit hours on end just because the site administrator needs help knowing why.
paultilling
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by paultilling »

Oh so sorry Socratis, I got confused with other instructions given.
When you refer to the 'DMG' do you mean the VirtualBox.app logo? If so I can double-click on that.
The internet/Google: How to Uninstall VirtualBox Completely from Mac the easy way" gives the following instructions:-
"Mount the VirtualBox disk image file and open that mounted dmg in the Finder" But I cannot open the mounted dmg 'VirtualBox.app' because it fails every time, giving failure notices.
Am I missing something here? Sorry I must seem a right dummy!
Paul
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

bucknaked wrote:You need to know why. We don’t need to know why. We are not software engineers.
That's why you don't know what you're talking about, how software works, sorry to say that.

*I* don't have a particular need to know why, the developers do. And unless the issue is isolated by the end users, unless the issue can be reproduced by the developers based on evidence collected by the end users, the issue will never be fixed.
bucknaked wrote:We need to fix it and move on with our lives.
Move on with your life, yes. Fix it? Not really, you're applying a workaround. And how about the rest of the users, are you trying to apply the same principle/attitude of yours to "move on" on everyone else?
bucknaked wrote:Not sit hours on end just because the site administrator needs help knowing why.
What does "site administrator" have anything to do with it? I'm primarily a user. A user that's trying to help other users. And BTW, I'm not an administrator, I'm a moderator, it says it right there on every post of mine, crystal clear, you got to pay closer attention.

BTW, I don't recall asking you not a single thing actually, I asked the OP 'paultilling' to provide me with an installation log. Now, why all of a sudden you act like that, is something that I can't really explain, seriously. If you're trying to pick a fight, it's not a good idea. If you don't like my advice, just ignore it. But please don't obstruct the effort to get to the bottom of this.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bucknaked

Post by bucknaked »

Why I act like that maybe because you suggest to the OP to ignore my straight forward smart solution and instead tell him:
socratis wrote:Paul, stick to the instructions that I gave you please...
I don’t care you’re mad you couldn’t think of my solution first, but I sure hope you’re not planning to take the OP through 9 pages of back and forth time wasting discussion just because you’re curious why!

You’re repeating all the solutions that used to work before Catalina, I tried them all, they don’t work. Me and the OP have the same issue related to the Catalina upgrade.
tsteven4

Post by tsteven4 »

Same problem. macos 10.5.1. I followed the instructions (uninstall tool, reboot, reinstall, gather log). The log file is attached.

As shown in the log the error seems to be:

Code: Select all

Oct 30 14:50:09 1952 installd[897]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “VirtualBox.pkg”." UserInfo={NSFilePath=./postflight, NSURL=file:///Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “VirtualBox.pkg”.} {
	    NSFilePath = "./postflight";
	    NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while running scripts from the package \U201cVirtualBox.pkg\U201d.";
	    NSURL = "file:///Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg";
	    PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts";
Attachments
Installer Log 30-Oct-2019.txt
(11.54 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
tsteven4

Post by tsteven4 »

BTW I rebooted before the uinstall as well. The uninstall went without a hitch. See the log attached.
Attachments
Uninstall.txt
(1.83 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
tsteven4

Post by tsteven4 »

Here is another version of the log, with "show all logs" selected. There was an earlier error:

Code: Select all

Oct 30 14:50:07 1952 installd[897]: PackageKit: Executing script "./postflight" in /private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.Y0L3HR/Scripts/org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts.7jwmub
Oct 30 14:50:09 1952 installd[897]: ./postflight: /Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) system policy prevents loading; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
[ModEdit: Identical log as the previous post by 'tsteven4' removed]
Last edited by socratis on 31. Oct 2019, 02:26, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary attachment, be more "green".
bucknaked

Post by bucknaked »

tsteven4 wrote:Here is another version of the log, with "show all logs" selected. There was an earlier error:
Try in Terminal:
sudo kextcache --clear-staging
Then run installer again. No need to restart.
tsteven4

Post by tsteven4 »

And here is what kextutil has to say:
1952:~ administrator$ sudo kextutil -v 6 '/Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext'
Kext user-space log filter changed from 0xff2 to 0xfff.
Kext kernel-space log filter changed from 0xff2 to 0xfff.
Kext library architecture set to x86_64.
Can't stat /AppleInternal - No such file or directory.
Defaulting to kernel file '/System/Library/Kernels/kernel'
Kext library recording diagnostics for: validation authentication dependencies warnings.
Reading loaded kext info from kernel.
(kernel) User-space log flags changed from 0x0 to 0xfff.
(kernel) Received 'Get Loaded Kext Info' request from user space.
(kernel) Returning loaded kext info.
Loaded kext info:
{
}

Kext rejected due to system policy: <OSKext 0x7fdde1e02f30 [0x7fff8a6cbd10]> { URL = "file:///Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Application%20Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext/", ID = "org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv" }
Kext rejected due to system policy: <OSKext 0x7fdde1e02f30 [0x7fff8a6cbd10]> { URL = "file:///Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Application%20Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext/", ID = "org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv" }
Diagnostics for /Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext:
1952:~ administrator$
tsteven4

Post by tsteven4 »

The installer failed the same way after clear-staging.
tsteven4

Post by tsteven4 »

The issue seems to be Security and Privacy restrictions from developer "Oracle America, Inc.". I think this is triggered if this is the first time VirtualBox is installed on a machine that is running Catalina. I think VirtualBox may need to jump throw some more apple hoops to get kernel extensions loaded without user intervention.
Attachments
Annotation 2019-10-30 171721.jpg
Annotation 2019-10-30 171721.jpg (46.95 KiB) Viewed 6941 times
tsteven4

Post by tsteven4 »

Indeed, after unlocking and hitting allow for developer "Oracle America, Inc." the install was successful.
tsteven4

Post by tsteven4 »

See a discussion of loading kernel extensions on catalina here: https://eclecticlight.co/2019/10/21/why ... xtensions/