Catalina upgrade and Virtual Box error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Catalina upgrade and Virtual Box error

Post by socratis »

tsteven4 wrote:
system policy prevents loading
tsteven4 wrote:The issue seems to be Security and Privacy restrictions from developer "Oracle America, Inc.".
Exactly right. The issue has been there since 10.13 was out, for more than 2 years now. See Installation fails on 10.13.x, 10.14.x (rc=-1908).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

bucknaked wrote:Why I act like that maybe because you suggest to the OP to ignore my straight forward smart solution
It's not a smart solution, it's a workaround (maybe). It skips over the real problem, and doesn't really go to the bottom of the issue. It lacks analysis, it lack conditions, it lacks reasoning. Just because it's worked in your case, doesn't make it a universal "smart solution".
bucknaked wrote:I don’t care you’re mad you couldn’t think of my solution first, but I sure hope you’re not planning to take the OP through 9 pages of back and forth time wasting discussion just because you’re curious why!
Mad? Your solution? I'm sorry, but as they say in my village, "It doesn't compute". I'm not "mad" at all, if there was a solution, I would be "glad". But just because you're magic-dusting and hocus-pocus over a problem, and not seriously trying to understand it, I would politely ask you to let us do the dirty work to understand what's causing this.
bucknaked wrote:You’re repeating all the solutions that used to work before Catalina, I tried them all, they don’t work. Me and the OP have the same issue related to the Catalina upgrade.
Just because you tried some things, doesn't mean you can't try others. I don't remember you asking for help with that, you just found a magic solution and you think it applies from beef to seafood. Well, it doesn't.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tsteven4

Post by tsteven4 »

socratis wrote:The issue has been there since 10.13 was out, for more than 2 years now. See Installation fails on 10.13.x, 10.14.x (rc=-1908).
If there is no way to do better than the instructions in your link then maybe its time to update the manual with those distasteful but informative instructions, e.g. add them to https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... lation-mac
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Not really, 1) because it's not universal, 2) because it's not universal. Some people see the warning, some don't. Since there's no clear pattern, there's no point in including it in the manual IMHO. If you think that it makes sense, you should head to the bug tracker and either search for an appropriate bug, or open a new bug report.
paultilling
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by paultilling »

Dear Socratis, I have not heard from you so I carried out all your instructions, uninstalling the VirtualBox and re-installing a fresh version but it again failed to load. I repeated the whole procedure several times.

I got a "Kernal module not installed (rc= -1908)" and a "make sure the kernel driver is installed successfully" message.
Also a "suplibOsinit what:3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_ NOT INSTALLED (-1908) The support driver is not installed" notice.
Also, one time, a "we couldn't find the location of your one drive folder" But the one drive folder is available on my user folder ('paultiling 1').
I managed to get a log file showing a few errors, starting with 'Package Authoring Error and unsupported MIME' etc followed ater by 'buildinstallPlanReturnError'.
When you have time can you instruct me further please? I'm completely lost!
Thank you
Paul

Post by socratis »

paultilling wrote:I have not heard from you
I have about 80 tabs open in my browser that are looking for an answer, you're not the only one asking for help, so be patient.
paultilling wrote:I carried out all your instructions, uninstalling the VirtualBox and re-installing a fresh version but it again failed to load.
I gave you clear, step-by-step instructions on how to capture the installation log. Also, 'tsteven4' showed you where to go and approve Oracle as a trusted developer. So, 1) Where's the installer log? 2) No matter how many times you keep on repeating the installation, unless you approve Oracle nothing will work.

I want to see the installation log.
paultilling

Post by paultilling »

Hi Socratis, My apologies, I am unfamiliar with the forum and with fading eyesight I didn't spot the tiny 'next' at the bottom right to turn the page so I missed a lot, but now am catching up! (I have ten years of important data to retrieve!)

I have only just read the contribution by 'tsteven4', which is all well beyond me!
What do you mean by 'approve Oracle as a trusted developer'? Did you mean 'allow for developer "Oracle America. Inc."'?

I now have the Log file showing the errors but I don't know how to attach it to send to you. (can't find it in FAQ or User Control Panel) Please let me know how and I'll send it.

I am most grateful for your continuing interest.
Paul
P.S. I now have Oz 10.15.1 installed.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

paultilling wrote:I have only just read the contribution by 'tsteven4', which is all well beyond me!
I'm sorry, but it doesn't get any simpler than that. Maybe call a friend that can help you out?
paultilling wrote:but I don't know how to attach it to send to you
See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
paultilling

Post by paultilling »

' My log file was attached as 'VirtualBox errors.rtf' but the .rtf was rejected so I tried to submit it with the .rtf removed.
It rejected that too. It doesn't tell me what format it wants. Paul
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Re-read the instructions. Nowhere in there it talks about saving the log as an RTF. Save it as plain text and ZIP it.

Re-read the instructions, carefully, and take your time to follow them.
paultilling

Post by paultilling »

OK zip file attached.
Attachments
VirtualBox errors.zip
(3.5 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

It's still RTF, but...
Nov  1 16:29:32 Pauls-Air-2 installd[617]: ./postflight: /Library/Application
    Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) system policy prevents
    loading; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
First of all, read the following: User-Approved Kernel Extension Loading.

Then:
  • Reboot your computer, retry the installation.
  • After the installation fails, go to "System Preferences" » "Security" » "General", and "Allow Oracle" to install kernel extensions.
  • Retry the installation.
paultilling

Post by paultilling »

Hi Socratis,
I did exactly as you directed but when I retried the VirtualBox installation I got the following page 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager' copy attached herewith.
It would let me go no further.
Paul

(79.94 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

This is an irrelevant screenshot I'm afraid. Why do I need to see a picture of the VirtualBox Manager?

Plus, don't ZIP and attach the picture, just attach the picture directly, it's already compressed.
paultilling

Post by paultilling »

Socratis, As I said, it will not let me go any further. That is why I sent the picture the VirtualBox Manager page to you as I do not know how to proceed from there.
I have since tried to retrace my steps following your instructions and I get as far as "System Preferences/Security & privacy /General" but this time the "Allow Oracle of America" option does not appear.
So I do not what this means or where to go from here.
Paul