Catalina upgrade and Virtual Box error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
paultilling
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Catalina upgrade and Virtual Box error

Post by paultilling »

After upgrading to Catalina I cannot use VirtualBox.
I get a 'Kernal driver not installed (rc=-1908)' warning notice.
I'm not very computer savvy, can any kind soul please advise?
Many thanks in advance!
Paul
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Catalina upgrade and Virtual Box error

Post by socratis »

You need to re-install VirtualBox. Pay close attention to the messages. If there's a message about VirtualBox being blocked there are instructions. If not, take a look at Installation fails on 10.13.x, 10.14.x (rc=-1908), specifically the first bullet point...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
paultilling

Post by paultilling »

Thanks very much Socratis for the advice.
To re-install Virtualbox should I uninstall VirtualBox first before I do a fresh installation?
And is there any danger of my losing my historic data?
I am a bit nervous about doing something wrong!
Regards
Paul

Post by socratis »

paultilling wrote:To re-install Virtualbox should I uninstall VirtualBox first before I do a fresh installation?
It shouldn't matter, the installer installs/updates the files in place, it's smart enough to handle either case.
paultilling wrote:And is there any danger of my losing my historic data?
None whatsoever. It's like if installing/changing LibreOffice (or *Office) won't get your documents/spreadsheets/other lost.

The VMs/spreadsheets are "data", not an integral part of the application that uses that data.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
paultilling

Post by paultilling »

Sorry to labour the point, but is it OK to simply download a copy of virtualbox.org from the internet as if I was a new entrant?
Or should I look for a special 'installer' program that you mention?
And how would I link it to the old data files?
It's a bit different to other programs I believe.
Thanks again
Paul

Post by socratis »

The question has already been answered. You download the program from virtualbox.org, you install the program, you launch the program.
paultilling

Post by paultilling »

Hi Socratis, Thank you,
I did exactly as you said, I dowloaded Vertualbox (v6.0.14) on to my Macbook Air with Macoz 10.15 Catalina and 32gb spare memory,
It downloaded right to the end but in the summary it said "The installation failed. Oracle VM Virtualbox was not correctly installed". No messages. I did it twice and both the same.
What do you think?
Paul

PS Previously, when I first tried to run the old version on the new Catalina I got the message: "Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)"
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You might want to print the following steps, or save them in a test file on your desktop, because there are a couple of reboots, and you don't want to go "hunting" in the forums...
  1. Download the latest release, or the latest test build (NOT the development snapshot), if you don't already have them.
  2. Reboot.
  3. Make sure you're part of the "admin" group. If you are logged in with the primary user account/owner, you are part of the admin group.
  4. Mount the DMG from the previous step. Run "VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool". Make sure there are no error messages. If there are, please post them, exactly as they appear.
  5. Reboot.
  6. Mount the DMG from the previous steps. Double-click the "VirtualBox.pkg". As soon as you start the installation, press Cmd+L to show the log. Select "Show All Logs" from the drop-down menu. Before the last step of the installation (Done), click the "Save" in the log window. ZIP and attach that file.
  7. Start VirtualBox. If it crashes, open "Console.app" and look at "~/Library/Logs". Is there a VirtualBox related log with the current date/time? ZIP and attach that file as well.
paultilling

Post by paultilling »

Thanks again for your prompt reply.

This is all a bit above me but I am willing to try. May I ask some questions please?
item 3. I joined VirtualBox July'09 but don't know if I am a member of the 'admin group' nor if I have a primary user account. (Probably not).
item 4. How do I actually mount the DMG(presumably of VirtualBox uninstaller) ?

Sorry these are probably rather basic questions.
I hope you don't mind and I very much appreciate you kind assistance
Paul
bucknaked
Guest OSses: None

Post by bucknaked »

I have the same issue. I tried everything in the below topics: Nothing works. The error is the same reported by other users. I even tried running

Code: Select all

spctl kext-consent add VB5E2TV963
in Recovery Mode.
bucknaked

Post by bucknaked »

I think I found the solution, in Terminal run:

sudo kextcache --clear-staging
That's it! No need to restart. Try install it again and it shouldn't fail.
paultilling

Post by paultilling »

That's really great news! I am sorry I have never used 'Terminal' before and am nervous to touch it!
Can you lead me through it please? (the steps to take)
Paul
bucknaked

Post by bucknaked »

Easy, just open Applications > Utilities > Terminal then copy & paste sudo kextcache --clear-staging into the terminal window and hit Enter.

Then reinstall VirtualBox. (I am unable to insert the link to the download page, so just google search for VirtualBox installation Mac it should be the top one).
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

paultilling wrote:item 3. I joined VirtualBox July'09 but don't know if I am a member of the 'admin group' nor if I have a primary user account. (Probably not).
I was talking about the 'admin' group on your computer.
paultilling wrote:item 4. How do I actually mount the DMG(presumably of VirtualBox uninstaller) ?
You double-click on the DMG.
paultilling wrote:That's really great news! I am sorry I have never used 'Terminal' before and am nervous to touch it!
Paul, stick to the instructions that I gave you please...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

bucknaked wrote:

spctl kext-consent add VB5E2TV963
You don't need to explicitly do that, the installer does that for you. If you have to intervene manually, that means that the installer script didn't make it to that point, it failed earlier...