VirtualBox crashes under various conditions

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
J-S

VirtualBox crashes under various conditions

Post by J-S »

Good morning, everyone,

(my first post on the forum, excuse me for the stage fright)

I have, it seems, the same problems as each of you but with one big difference, I didn't upgrade to Catalina, just update VirtualBox (from 6.0.12 to 6.0.14)

The problems encountered occur on an MBPro 11,4 with MacOS 10.14.6, VirtualBox 6.0.14 and a VM Fedora 31 (Guest 6.0.13).

It started by trying to change the network interface on the host side (in the VM task bar), switch from Wifi to ethernet, crash. Then by wanting to change the size of the VM window, crash. Then by wanting to insert the Guest Addition CD, crash. And so on....

Every time I click outside the VM window, VirtualBox crashes immediately.

If I try to restart the VM directly, I get the following message:

Code: Select all

You must specify a machine to start, using the command line.

Usage: VirtualBoxVM --startvm <name|UUID>
Starts the VirtualBox virtual machine with the given name or unique identifier (UUID).
I also tried the

Code: Select all

VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/HidLedsSync 0
command line, but without success.

I will try to reinstall VB 6.0.12, but before I switched to 6.0.14, I had none of these problems.

If you think it's not the same problems though, I'll make a new thread.

With kind regards.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox crashes under various conditions

Post by socratis »

J-S wrote:(my first post on the forum, excuse me for the stage fright)
Welcome! :)
J-S wrote:If you think it's not the same problems though, I'll make a new thread.
Did that for you, split your post from the VirtualBox crashes after upgrading to macOS Catalina (#18990) thread, didn't quite fit...

You describe a variety of crashes, hence the generic title I gave your thread. Can we start with one of them? We like to observe the "One issue, one thread" rule... ;)

Let's try and have a clean slate... You might want to print the following steps, or save them in a test file on your desktop, because there are a couple of reboots, and you don't want to go "hunting" in the forums...
  1. Download the latest release, or the latest test build (NOT the development snapshot), if you don't already have them.
  2. Reboot.
  3. Make sure you're part of the "admin" group. If you are logged in with the primary user account/owner, you are part of the admin group.
  4. Mount the DMG from the previous step. Run "VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool". Make sure there are no error messages. If there are, please post them, exactly as they appear.
  5. Reboot.
  6. Mount the DMG from the previous steps. Double-click the "VirtualBox.pkg". As soon as you start the installation, press Cmd+L to show the log. Select "Show All Logs" from the drop-down menu. Before the last step of the installation (Done), click the "Save" in the log window. ZIP and attach that file.
  7. Start VirtualBox. If it crashes, open "Console.app" and look at "~/Library/Logs". Is there a VirtualBox related log with the current date/time? ZIP and attach that file as well.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
J-S

Post by J-S »

Thank for your reply,

As I said, I've cleanly uninstall VB 6.0.14 then reinstall 6.0.12 to see if I encountered these errors and nothings bad append.

I keep the crash log from my previous update of VB :

[ModEdit: 3 unzipped crash logs removed]
Last edited by socratis on 17. Oct 2019, 12:51, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary attachment, be more "green".
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I'm afraid that we have to communicate if you want to try to resolve this. These are not the logs that I asked for, I did ask for the new installation log. I didn't ask for 5 crash logs. And I specifically told you to ZIP the logs.

Do you want to try again to follow the instructions to get the logs asked? Thanks...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.