[Resolved] Slow Windows 10 guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ondramas

[Resolved] Slow Windows 10 guest

Post by ondramas »

Hi, my Windows 10 guest OS runs very slow. I'm not sure if it can be improved but I'd be very happy if somebody had a look at my log file and maybe suggested some changes.
If you need more information, I'm willing to provide it. I just don't know what else is needed.
Thank you in advance.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(28.87 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Last edited by socratis on 29. Oct 2019, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
Orange Group Tech

Re: Slow Windows 10 guest

Post by Orange Group Tech »

Hi @ondramas! I assume that you use an OS X host according to your log, can I ask if you have guest additions installed? Besides, if your Mac has enough RAM, you can try to increase the RAM allocation to the Windows 10 Guest. If possible, you can try to turn off Windows Defender as it will use RAM and system resources, causing the VM to become slow.
You can google some tips to speed the VM up, too.

Hope this helped. :D
Last edited by Orange Group Tech on 16. Oct 2019, 10:37, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@'ondramas'
In order for a VBox.log to have any gravitas, we need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs. Yours is from a saved-state to a saved-state, we're missing crucial information:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe or recreate the problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response.
@'Orange Group Tech'
I'm sorry, but I couldn't allow a link to a website on your first post, I've removed the (obfuscated) URL.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ondramas

Post by ondramas »

I attach the new log.
Yes, I have the Guest Additions installed and inserted. I tried to turn off the Windows Defender but it took so long with the actual speed so I gave up...
Thank you in advance for your help
Attachments
W10.log.zip
(27.32 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
ondramas

Post by ondramas »

I found out what was the problem. I forgot that my mac has only 2 cores which I assigned to the VM. When I lowered the processors count to 1 the VM started to run more smoothly. But still, if you find something that could improve my VM speed, I would be glad.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

A little late, but better than never...
00:00:02.785182 ICH9 <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
Any particular reason why you decided to override the template defaults, and go with an unsupported, experimental, OSX-guests-only option? Please change it back to the default PIIX3. Do not change the defaults unless you know what you're getting into.
00:00:02.785377 VMSVGA3dEnabled    <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
00:00:02.785378 VMSVGAEnabled      <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
00:00:02.785379 VRamSize           <integer> = 0x0000000008000000 (134 217 728, 128 MB)
Go to the VM Settings » Display » Screen. Enable 3D acceleration. Increase the VRAM to the max 256 MB.
00:00:03.136754 AIOMgr: /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso
Always eject the Guest Additions (GAs) ISO once you're done with the installation.

But the most important culprit is (as you found out) the fact that you were giving all your CPUs to your Guest.

Marking as [Resolved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ondramas

Re: [Resolved] Slow Windows 10 guest

Post by ondramas »

Socratis, thank you very much for your advice. :)
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Resolved] Slow Windows 10 guest

Post by socratis »

Sure, no problem, glad to be of assistance... ;)