[WorksForMe] Permission issue related to shared folder

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
serendipity

[WorksForMe] Permission issue related to shared folder

Post by serendipity »

I'm using VirtualBox 6.0.12 on my High Sierra Mac, and I've installed an Ubuntu 18.04 virtual machine.

I've declared my host's Downloads file as a shared folder in the VBox Manager GUI. Inside my VM, the media/sf_Download directory appears crossed out :
media.png
media.png (47.34 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
When I try to open it, I am asked for my password :
areq.png
areq.png (80.51 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
but when I am finished typing it and hitting enter, it asks me for my password over and over again. Until I give up, click "Cancel" which produces the following laconic error message :
sww.png
sww.png (65.25 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Last edited by serendipity on 13. Oct 2019, 06:56, edited 1 time in total.
serendipity

Re: Permission issue related to shared folder

Post by serendipity »

Some checks in the terminal show that the unique non-root user in my VM has no permission to see the Shared folder (which isn't right, but I didn't see any way to fix this in the GUI), while the root user has access to the directory, but doesn't see anything that is in it (the Donwloads directory is non-empty on my host) :
term.png
term.png (56.27 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Did you make the user roparzh a member of the vboxsf group inside your guest OS?
serendipity

Post by serendipity »

You're right, I forgot to do that. So I did it by running sudo usermod -a -G vboxsf roparzh in the terminal.
Worked for me (after restarting the VM), thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [WorksForMe] Permission issue related to shared folder

Post by socratis »

Changed the resolution from [Solved] to [WorksForMe]. You don't mark something as [Solved] if it's already in the User Manual... :?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.