Network basics

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
petrusalberts2@gmail.com

Network basics

Post by petrusalberts2@gmail.com »

Hi folks

I have very basic knowledge of networks. I regularly need to set up a new VM, in which case I need two things: internet access and RDP. I use MS Remote Desktop to RDP onto the VM from the host (long story) and then occasionally a colleague will RDP onto the VM.

I want to know if there are some basic instructions I can follow to achieve that. I usually manage with a method I will describe shortly, but then every know and then my method does not work or stops working.

If I am working from the office: I will enable a single "Bridged Adaptor", select "en0: Ethernet 1" (my PC is cable connected) and "Promiscuous mode" to "Allow all". Then everything works fine. This one is always stable - never breaks.

If I am working at some client: Mostly I will be on the Wifi, so the above method does not work. In this case I will enable two network adaptors: One set to NAT Network (gives internet access) and one set to Host Only Adaptor. This mostly works, but often it does not (which is the current case). And then I also have the issue that a colleague can't RDP in. I can RDP from the host, but not from another PC.

Those are the methods I use currently. I have no idea why they work or do not work. I was hoping someone can supply me with some steps to achieve internet access and RDP access in general. I guess I should start learning about networks... but then I am in IT development, so there are 6000 things I should learn about... networks isn't very much of a priority :(

Thanks for your attention
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Network basics

Post by socratis »

petrusalberts2@gmail.com wrote:Mostly I will be on the Wifi, so the above method does not work
That's because Bridged-over-WiFi don't always play nice. Bridged networking is outside the WLAN specification. Promiscuous mode doesn't exist in the official WLAN specifications. It may or may not work. Some combinations of Routers/Access Points, WLAN cards and drivers work, some don't. See: Bridging & Wifi - Supported hardware and add your experience.

Basically, if the adapter/driver/router does *not* follow the specifications to the "T", it will work. If they follow the specifications, it will fail. For example, it works fine in my home, but not in my office. Same laptop, same VM.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.