Cannot start Virtualbox VMs after Catalina upgrade

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
hootix

Cannot start Virtualbox VMs after Catalina upgrade

Post by hootix »

One of our devs upgraded her 2017 Mac's OS to 10.15 (Catalina) and we have been unable to start any VirtualBox VMs. We use Vagrant and when we try to 'vagrant up' we get this error:

Code: Select all

There was an error while executing `VBoxManage`, a CLI used by Vagrant
for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.
Command: ["hostonlyif", "create"]
Stderr: 0%...
Progress state: NS_ERROR_FAILURE
VBoxManage: error: Failed to create the host-only adapter
VBoxManage: error: VBoxNetAdpCtl: Error while adding new interface: failed to open /dev/vboxnetctl: No such file or directory
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component HostNetworkInterfaceWrap, interface IHostNetworkInterface
VBoxManage: error: Context: "RTEXITCODE handleCreate(HandlerArg *)" at line 94 of file VBoxManageHostonly.cpp
If we try to start the VM through the Virtualbox GUI we get this error:

Code: Select all

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.
Things we have tried so far:
  1. Uninstalling VB via the VirtualBox_Uninistall.tool and installing latest version 6.0.12 (We get the 'The installation failed' error, and no 'Allow' button appears in Security&Privacy->General. Allow from App Store and identified developers is selected.)
  2. Uninstalling via the VirtualBox_Uninistall.tool, rebooting into Recovery mode, open Terminal, spctl kext-consent add VB5E2TV963, restart, reinstall VB. Same error (we ran spctl kext-consent list and can confirm that VB5E2TV963 is there)
  3. Downgrading VirtualBox
  4. Both sudo /Library/StartupItems/VirtualBox/VirtualBox restart and sudo "/Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/LaunchDaemons/VirtualBoxStartup.sh" restart
  5. Starting the VM in Normal, Headless and Detachable
  6. Destroying the VM
  7. Upgrading to latest version of Vagrant
  8. Started the VM via VirtualBoxVM --startvm nameofourvm
  9. Turning everything off and on again :)
The only thing that has worked is disabling SIP (Recovery mode -> Terminal -> csrutil disable -> restart -> everything works. We can also successfully install VirtualBox.) however if we reenable SIP is breaks again. This is the temporary fix were rolling with atm so our dev isn't out of action for a 3rd day running. But i don't see this as a permanent fix.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot start Virtualbox VMs after Catalina upgrade

Post by socratis »

hootix wrote:We use Vagrant and when we try to 'vagrant up' we get this error:
If you use Vagrant, ask at Vagrant support.
hootix wrote:Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
You might want to print the following steps, or save them in a test file on your desktop, because there are a couple of reboots, and you don't want to go "hunting" in the forums...
  1. Download the latest release, or the latest test build (NOT the development snapshot), if you don't already have them.
  2. Reboot.
  3. Make sure you're part of the "admin" group. If you are logged in with the primary user account/owner, you are part of the admin group.
  4. Mount the DMG from the previous step. Run "VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool". Make sure there are no error messages. If there are, please post them, exactly as they appear.
  5. Reboot.
  6. Mount the DMG from the previous steps. Double-click the "VirtualBox.pkg". As soon as you start the installation, press Cmd+L to show the log. Select "Show All Logs" from the drop-down menu. Before the last step of the installation (Done), click the "Save" in the log window. ZIP and attach that file.
  7. Start VirtualBox. If it crashes, open "Console.app" and look at "~/Library/Logs". Is there a VirtualBox related log with the current date/time? ZIP and attach that file as well.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
devist

Post by devist »

I have same problem. Hope to fix it soon. I tried several things but failed and decided to wait for the upgrade...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@'devist'
You may or you may not have the same problem, wait for 6.0.14 to show up and try again with that...

I didn't merge this thread with the most prominent on the subject (VirtualBox crashes after upgrading to macOS Catalina (#18990)) because Vagrant was involved. I'm not going to lock it yet (thinking about it), but please keep any 10.15 (Catalina) discussion in the thread above...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
delcerrocristian

Post by delcerrocristian »

Hi, i have the same problem. I try to install 6.0.14 and i get installation errors.

the logs are as follows:
Dec  3 13:14:47 MacBook-Pro-de-Cristian installd[1654]: PackageKit: ----- Begin install -----
Dec  3 13:14:59 MacBook-Pro-de-Cristian installd[1654]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "Se ha producido un error al ejecutar scripts desde el paquete “VirtualBox.pkg”." UserInfo={NSFilePath=./postflight, NSURL=file:///Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts, NSLocalizedDescription=Se ha producido un error al ejecutar scripts desde el paquete “VirtualBox.pkg”.} {
	    NSFilePath = "./postflight";
	    NSLocalizedDescription = "Se ha producido un error al ejecutar scripts desde el paquete \U201cVirtualBox.pkg\U201d.";
	    NSURL = "file:///Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg";
	    PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts";
	}
Dec  3 13:14:59 MacBook-Pro-de-Cristian Installer[2221]: Install failed: El Instalador ha detectado un error que ha impedido completar la instalación. Ponte en contacto con el fabricante del software para solicitar ayuda.
Dec  3 13:14:59 MacBook-Pro-de-Cristian Installer[2221]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.
Dec  3 13:14:59 MacBook-Pro-de-Cristian Installer[2221]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'El Instalador ha detectado un error que ha impedido completar la instalación. Ponte en contacto con el fabricante del software para solicitar ayuda.'.
Anyway, i can access to VirtualBox, but when i execute any virtual machine i get the next error:
Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.
Anybody can help me with it?
Thanks!
Last edited by socratis on 4. Dec 2019, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote][pre] tags for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

'delcerrocristian', this is not the complete installer log, these are parts of it. Please follow the instructions just above your post to grab (and ZIP) the complete log.

And if you could switch your Host's interface/primary language to English before doing the installation, it would help us without having to go through a translator.
delcerrocristian

First of all thank you very much for answering.

I tried to run "VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool". from VirtualBox-6.0.14-133895-OSX.dmg and i get the next error:
“VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool” cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware.
and i can't run that.

I attach a ZIP file with the installation logs, I hope it is enough for you to help me.

In addition, despite the installation failure I can run VritualBox, but when running any virtual machine, in this case a Windows7 with IE 11 I receive the error "Kernel driver not installed (rc = -1908)", attached log of the error read in Console. app

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
virtualbox-crash-executing-VM-IE11Win7.txt.zip
(18.04 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Installer Log 4-Dec-2019.txt.zip
(2.81 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Yuiriy

Post by Yuiriy »

Try to open uninstall tool by clicking right button-> open. After that open button will be available.

Anyway, I have the same problem with vBox start.
I've tried to uninstall vBox, clean cache, reboot etc. It didn't help and I even don't have "Allow" button.
Also I tried to allow mac install software from unrecognized developers (sudo spctl --master-disable) and it didn't help me too.
Last edited by socratis on 5. Dec 2019, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yuiriy wrote:Try to open uninstall tool by clicking right button-> open
I'm sorry, but what "uninstall tool" are you talking about?
Yuiriy wrote:After that open button will be available.
What open button?
Yuiriy wrote:Anyway, I have the same problem with vBox start.
What "vBox start"? This is not something I'm familiar with..
Yuiriy wrote:Also I tried to allow mac install software from unrecognized developers (sudo spctl --master-disable) and it didn't help me too.
See the thread "Installation fails on 10.13.x, 10.14.x (rc=-1908)", especially the 1st post.
delcerrocristian

Hi Socratis, could you take a look to the logs? Do you know any solution to the problem?

Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Dec  4 17:22:54 MacBook-Pro-de-Cristian installd[1972]: ./postflight: /Library/Application
    Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) system policy prevents
    loading; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
See Installation fails on 10.13.x, 10.14.x (rc=-1908), primarily the first post.

But... you were getting that crash, even though VirtualBox wasn't properly installed? :shock:

That would explain some weird crashes that I've been seeing. It would mean that people would try to launch VirtualBox, despite the fact that the installer failed!!!
navigare
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: macOS 10.15.7 Catalina

Post by navigare »

I followed the steps listed by socratis » 10. Oct 2019, 12:40.

Steps 1 to 5 done - no errors.
Step 6 Errors, Please find attached the log-File
Step 7 Despite the errors of Starting VirtualBox.pkg I started VB. I configured a VM. But starting it results into:
- Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908); VERR_VM_DRIVER:NOT_INSTALLED (-1908)
- NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005); MachineWrap; Interface IMachine {5047460a-265d-4538-b23e-ddba5fb84976}

Checked /Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/... contains VBoxDrv.kext/VBoxUSB.kext/VBoxNetFlt.kext/VBoxNetAdp.kext/

Could be solved by booting the restore mode and Allow "Oracle" to install kernel extensions in "System Preferences" » "Security" » "General".
Found the solution in post "spctl kext-consent add VB5E2TV963".

Now I'm happy. Thanks to socratis et al. :D
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

navigare wrote:Despite the errors of Starting VirtualBox.pkg I started VB.
Why? Just to prove that it would be broken? Sure, you can start the VirtualBox Manager, and create/configure a VM. But when the VM tries to start and VirtualBox tries to communicate with the kernel driver (the one that failed to install, remember?), guess what's going to happen... :roll:

[quote=""navigare's installation log""]
Dec  6 14:54:02 Kismet installd[603]: ./postflight: /Library/Application
    Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) system policy
    prevents loading; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
[/quote]To be expected...
navigare wrote:Could be solved by booting the restore mode and Allow "Oracle"...
Restore mode? Why did you have to go into restore mode? Apple's instructions don't talk about "restore mode", standard operations would suffice.
navigare wrote:Now I'm happy
That makes two of us! ;)
Gavrikon

Post by Gavrikon »

If I may add my two cents, I have the same issues.
Here is my installation log file after uninstalling, as well as the crash files trying to start any of my VMs.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Attachments
Installer Log 10-Dec-2019.txt.zip
(3.18 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Last edited by socratis on 11. Dec 2019, 00:26, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary attachment, be more "green".
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Gavrikon wrote:I have the same issues.
Then follow the same instructions to fix it! I'm not sure why you haven't done so already...
Dec 10 18:11:44 Garys-MacBook-Pro-2 installd[1696]: ./postflight: /Library/Application
    Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) system policy
    prevents loading; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
I deleted your Crash logs. If the installation fails, there's absolutely no point in telling me that the launch of a VM would crash.