VirtualBox crashes after upgrading to macOS Catalina (#18990)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox crashes after upgrading to macOS Catalina

Post by socratis »

hulksmash,
I moved your post. You were in the wrong thread. Read this one from the beginning...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
syncraft

Post by syncraft »

I tried, but could not start.
However, it was successfully started by the following method.
  • Right-click the instance of Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager that you want to start.
  • Click Headless from the boot menu.
  • If it is Windows, it can be accessed from a remote desktop. I was CentOS, so I was able to access from SSH.
I decided to put up with bug fixes.
gercekg

windows shuts down at osx catalina immidiately when you click anywhere

Post by gercekg »

hi,
i upgraded to catalina yesterday. i opened virtualbox and windows opened and worked normally.
but when i click to minimize windows or click screen area outer than virtual machine (os x area) virtual machine windows screen shuts down immidiately.

i cant work by this way. i think an update needed to virtualbox not to crash at osx catalina
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: VirtualBox crashes after upgrading to macOS Catalina (#18990)

Post by socratis »

@gercekg
I merged your thread with the one dealing with your issue, read the thread from the beginning. One thing is for sure, your post did *not* belong in the "OSX Guests" sub-forum, please be more careful next time, or your problem might go unnoticed...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Marcoisgood

Post by Marcoisgood »

I had the same issued when I was selecting other windows. Then, I read somebody's post that giving the whole disk access permission can address the crash. I did try, but the crash was still. but, after I cancel the whole disk access permission to virtual box, it has not crashed anymore. :D

version 6.0.12 r133076 with Ubuntu
Totoche

Post by Totoche »

I had the very same problem but found the solution in one of the posts in the OSX pre-releases here.
By removing all references to VirtualBox into the privacy settings, it works back perfect. I no longer have the issue.
:mrgreen:
Zerodaypanda

Post by Zerodaypanda »

I had the same issue, however when you start your VM in headless mode it works 100% of the time.
Edit: After it starts in headless mode, I can simply click the 'Show'-icon to get the normal graphics and then it doesn't crash anymore when I switch to another application instead of virtualbox.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

For all those that start the VM in Headless mode; there are drawbacks with that technique, mainly the fact that there's no 3D acceleration available (AFAIK).
Zerodaypanda

Post by Zerodaypanda »

@Socratis: True. But at least it runs ...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Just saying that it is not the optimum, it's a workaround. If you want another workaround, read the first post on this thread, I've included a [ModEdit] comment...
Mapache14

Post by Mapache14 »

socratis wrote:Another thing to try is to enter the command:
  • 
    VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/HidLedsSync 0
This seems to fix it for me.
Using macOS 10.15 and Virtualbox 6.0.12
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thanks 'Mapache14' for the feedback, you're the first one to actually report back on this fix... 8)
jcaselli

Post by jcaselli »

socratis wrote:For all those that start the VM in Headless mode; there are drawbacks with that technique, mainly the fact that there's no 3D acceleration available (AFAIK).
True, but presently I'm using a Lubuntu host for teaching purposes, it doesn't run as smoothly as usual, but it is enough for me until the new release is out. I prefer this to meddling with the mac's security settings.

Thank you everybody for pointing out this workaround and all other solutions.
d3xsky

Post by d3xsky »

I can confirm that this solution works fine on macOS host and Windows 10 guest. I'm able to start VM in normal mode. Starting VM in headless mode will work but as you mentioned in some of the posts there's no 3D support that way, executing command inside terminal is way better option to go. I would also like to confirm that after update for VBox is out we need to do:
  • 
    VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/HidLedsSync 
if I'm not mistaken?
socratis wrote:Another thing to try is to enter the command:
  • 
    VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/HidLedsSync 0
Last edited by d3xsky on 9. Oct 2019, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
CarlJazz

Post by CarlJazz »

Ubuntu doesn't boot up in headless mode. test-build fails installation. VBoxManage didn't work at all.

Any other workaround?