Encrypted VM won't start after Catalina upgrade

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
wildfire

Encrypted VM won't start after Catalina upgrade

Post by wildfire »

One of my VMs crashes right before it's about to ask for the storage password. The log shows:
00:00:04.371610 Console: VM runtime error: fatal=false, errorID=DrvVD_DEKMISSING message="VD: The DEK for this disk is missing"
I tried to reinstall the extension pack and Virtualbox, but I'm still unable to start the VM.

I'm unable to start other machines as well that have no encrypted storage, but I'm getting different errors on them.

Any suggestions?
Tech-Lover-21

Re: Encrypted VM won't start after Catalina upgrade

Post by Tech-Lover-21 »

Try to start it in headless start till it boots up, then press show and see if the VM will work properly.
wildfire

Post by wildfire »

Tech-Lover-21 wrote:Try to start it in headless start till it boots up, then press show and see if the VM will work properly.
I tried what you suggested and the VM went into Paused mode. I unpaused (Show isn't available at this point), and then clicked on Show and the VM was stuck at a black screen with a blinking cursor. Storage password was never asked.

Also I'm noticing the Virtualbox app itself crashes constantly.
wildfire

Post by wildfire »

I disabled encryption on the media and the VM now runs in Headless mode. Thanks for the suggestion, Tech-Lover-21.
jmwdba

Post by jmwdba »

Headless mode so far works for me as well. Hopefully there is a fix for this forthcoming, whatever is causing the issue.