Some GUI menus missing in VirtualBox for Mac host and Windows 10 guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
asanz

Some GUI menus missing in VirtualBox for Mac host and Windows 10 guest

Post by asanz »

I can't understand why I don't see some of the GUI menus that I activated in the User Interface Settings.

I only see "Application", "Machine", "Window" and "Help", but I don't see "View", "Input", "Devices", or "Debug". Of course I am sure all menus are properly activated in the User Interface Settings.

I'm stuck on this because I need to install the Windows Guest Additions on my Windows 10 virtual machine, but it's impossible to mount the Guest Additions CD image because the Devices menu doesn't exist.

Does anyone have the same problem? Is there anyone who can help me? Maybe if you can mount the Guest Additions disk, you could create an ISO image of that disk and share it with me through a file sharing service.

I just can't continue using VirtualBox if I'm not able to install the Windows Guest Additions.

Thanks in advance.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Some GUI menus missing in VirtualBox for Mac host and Windows 10 guest

Post by socratis »

asanz wrote:Of course I am sure all menus are properly activated in the User Interface Settings.
I'm not... That's why I want to see the recipe of the VM, the ".vbox" file. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager, select "Show in Finder". ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
asanz

Post by asanz »

Here it is.

I've noticed there are 3 an ExtraData items related to the GUI:

Code: Select all

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/RestrictedRuntimeDevicesMenuActions" value="Nothing"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/RestrictedRuntimeMachineMenuActions" value="Nothing"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/RestrictedRuntimeMenus" value="Machine,View,Input,Devices,Debug,Window,Help"/>
According to the manual 9.19.4. Configure VM Window Menu Entries, the menus listed are obviously disabled. Therefore, the GUI settings for menus enabling/disabling for Mac OS host work just the opposite of what I thought.

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
Windows 10.vbox.zip
(1.54 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Shut down the VM. Open a Terminal, issue the following commands:
  • 
    VBoxManage setextradata "Windows 10" "GUI/InformationWindowGeometry"
    VBoxManage setextradata "Windows 10" "GUI/RestrictedRuntimeDevicesMenuActions"
    VBoxManage setextradata "Windows 10" "GUI/RestrictedRuntimeMachineMenuActions"
    VBoxManage setextradata "Windows 10" "GUI/RestrictedRuntimeMenus"

Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dlbuch
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WIndows 10, Windows Server (various), other misc

Post by dlbuch »

I have the same problem described by the OP (asnz)
I saw no acknowledgement that the solution given by socratis was successful for the OP.

I have ten VMs, two of which are Windows 10 ("Win10 90" and "ProximaB"). Just as for the OP, only my Windows 10 machines are missing the GUI menus.

I tried the recommended commands for my VM "Win10 90" as directed; I shut it down, opened the terminal, and issued the following commands (using the name of my machine)

Code: Select all

VBoxManage setextradata "Win10 90" "GUI/InformationWindowGeometry"
VBoxManage setextradata "Win10 90" "GUI/RestrictedRuntimeDevicesMenuActions"
VBoxManage setextradata "Win10 90" "GUI/RestrictedRuntimeMachineMenuActions"
VBoxManage setextradata "Win10 90" "GUI/RestrictedRuntimeMenus"
I saw the the command was accepted so I then started up and logged into the machine.
Still no GUI menus.

Versions and Environment
At the time when I tried this I was running VirtualBox 6.0.15 r135660 (Qt5.6.3) (I am now running Version 6.0.16 r135674 (Qt5.6.3) and the issue remains)
I am running it on macOS Catalina version 10.15.2

The practical aspect of the issue
This Windows 10 machine is newly installed and thus I have not been able to add guest editions and proceed with the desired configuration.

HELP ~~ Regarding Forum Posting Guide requirement: "In any post, make sure you provide at least the VM log file as well as the guest settings"
1.) I have tried to uploading two zipped logs files (one for before and one for after I issued the command above).
However, every time I chose and then clicked "Add the file" button the composition window was completely cleared of my carefully written message. And when I attempt to upload an attachment first nothing happened.
2.) Also, how do I provide the "guest settings"? Is there a file somewhere that include a summary of them all?
Please advise.
dlbuch