Problem getting the Status Bar to appear in v.6

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Emm

Problem getting the Status Bar to appear in v.6

Post by Emm »

Hi, I have a problem getting the Status Bar to appear in the latest VBox version, while it works fine in an older version -- please see my comparison below:

On my old iMac 2013:
- Mac OS X 10.12.6
- VBox 5.2.8 r121009 (Qt5.6.3)

Preferences > User Interface > Status Bar [checked]

As one can see in the red ring in the lower right corner, the status bar is showing, with all checked icons:
VB5.jpg
VB5.jpg (24.99 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
And the contents of the View menu appear as follows (unfortunately I couldn't make a screenshot, hence I'm writing it down):

Full Screen Mode
Seamless Mode
Scaled Mode
--
Adjust Window Size...
√ Auto-resize Guest Display
--
Take Screenshot...
Video Capture
Remote Display
--
Menu Bar
[submenu] Menu Bar Settings...
Status Bar
[submenu] Status Bar Settings...
[submenu] √ Show Status Bar
--
Scale Factor
[submenu] 100%…200%
  • Virtual Screen 1
    [submenu] Resize to 640x480…Resize to 1920x1200
    • On my new iMac 2019:
      - Mac OS X 10.14.6
      - VBox 6.0.12 r133076 (Qt5.6.3)

Preferences > User Interface > Status Bar [checked]

As one can see in the red ring in the lower right corner, there is no status bar, even though it is checked in the preferences:
      VB6.jpg
      VB6.jpg (27.11 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
      Also, the contents of the View menu are missing a lot of commands (I have high-lighted in red the menu commands from v5 that is missing in v6):

Full Screen Mode
      Seamless Mode
      Scaled Mode
      --
      Adjust Window Size...
      √ Auto-resize Guest Display
      --
      Take Screenshot...
      Recording
      Remote Display
      --
      Menu Bar
      [submenu] Menu Bar Settings...
      Status Bar
      [submenu] Status Bar Settings...
      [submenu] √ Show Status Bar
      --
      Scale Factor
      [submenu] 100%…200%
      • Virtual Screen 1
        [submenu] Resize to 640x480…Resize to 1920x1200
        • Why are all the red menu items missing from VB v6? Is it a bug? And is that the reason the status bar isn't showing, although it has been specified to do so in the preferences?

Granted, I can still access these commands throught the Devices menu, but I would prefer to have them more immediately accessible through the status bar -- thanks!

--

Edited: As suggested in the comment below I have now shrunk the size of the pictures (I wasn't aware of the high resolution; now they are 640 pixels wide at 72 dpi instead, hopefully that works better :-). Regarding the log files, I will get hold of these and add them shortly as well (as .zip files).
Last edited by Emm on 19. Sep 2019, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Problem getting the Status Bar to appear in v.6

Post by socratis »

Please re-read your post. Can you see the attached pictures? In their entirety? Now that you can't (because you certainly can't), please edit your post and re-upload the pictures shrunk by 50% at least. Not everyone has a HiDPI (Retina) display. And there's certainly no need to see your whole desktop... ;)

I need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe or recreate the problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response.
I would also like to see the recipe of the VM, the ".vbox" file. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager, select "Show in Finder. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.

And finally, the file "/Users/<you>/Library/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml". ZIPPED again of course....
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.