Failed to Create a proxy device for Windows 10 guest on MacOS High Sierra host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
BrandvikProperties4

Failed to Create a proxy device for Windows 10 guest on MacOS High Sierra host

Post by BrandvikProperties4 »

I am stuck because the settings seem to indicate that the USB is open (unfiltered) and the USB memory stick's LED does light up like there is activity when I have restarted the VM then insert the memory stick.

There is a VERR_PDM_NO_USB_PORTS error message but the device driver on Windows says it is up to date.I have Windows10 Home 64bit installed on VirtualBox 6.0.8r130520 (Qt5.6.3) and it does NOT recognize that I've got a USB drive. I set up the filter under "Devices->USB Settings->USB Ports" as a USB 1.0 device (for the sake of universal compatibility).

Windows is activated.

I have a USB filter on that allows any device to be connected (I plan to use the filter to allow ONLY the specified USB sticks, but that comes later).

It does not show up even though in VirtualBox running Windows 10 even though it DOES show up if I use it on the Mac side (unless I have tried to use it on the VirtualBox side first). I have no way to eject the memory stick since, at this point, it does not show up on either the Mac or VirtualBox/Windows side.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: Failed to Create a proxy device for Windows 10 guest on MacOS High Sierra host

Post by multiOS »

USB 1 does not provide 'universal compatibility', i.e. it will not recognise a USB2 or USB3 device plugged in to a USB 2 or 3 port. I very much doubt that your USB Stick is a USB 1 device or that your Mac has any USB 1 ports if it can run High Sierra so you should try using the correct level, or higher level, of USB setting as they are generally backwards compatible with the earlier versions/devices.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Failed to Create a proxy device for Windows 10 guest on MacOS High Sierra host

Post by socratis »

Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts.

If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help and post the information requested.

If you don't need direct access to the USB, but just access to its files, consider the VirtualBox Shared Folders option instead...

BTW, the "VERR_PDM_NO_USB_PORTS" is covered in the FAQ. Plus the mistake of having a blank filter...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.