[Solved] Cannot attach medium '/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso'

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
raed707

[Solved] Cannot attach medium '/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso'

Post by raed707 »

Hello,

After I updated the extension pack my Ubuntu virtual machine got inaccessible
Cannot attach medium '/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' {0e3ca4cf-63fe-432c-aa09-079e300a8844}: medium is already associated with the current state of machine uuid {986e5190-68cc-4c04-82f8-ea65133d3008}!.

Result Code: VBOX_E_OBJECT_IN_USE (0x80BB000C)
Component: MediumWrap
Interface: IMedium {ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1}
Last edited by socratis on 8. Sep 2019, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot attach medium '/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso'

Post by socratis »

Let me translate what's going on here...
  • You took a snapshot, while the VM had the "VBoxGuestAdditions.iso" mounted. The ISO had "a" UUID.
  • You upgraded VirtualBox. The "VBoxGuestAdditions.iso" got "a new" UUID.
  • The UUIDs are conflicting, you can't have the same ISO with two UUIDs
I would like to see the recipe of the VM, the ".vbox" file. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager, select "Show in Finder". ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
raed707

Re: Cannot attach medium '/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso'

Post by raed707 »

I couldn't do show in finder, but I got the .vbox file from Macintosh SSD⁩ ▸ ⁨Users⁩ ▸ ⁨user⁩ ▸ ⁨VirtualBox VMs⁩ ▸ Ubuntu

The requested file is attached.

Thank you
Attachments
Ubuntu.vbox.zip
(1.63 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

raed707 wrote:I couldn't do show in finder
That's interesting... Can you elaborate?
raed707 wrote:I got the .vbox
  1. Launch "Activity Monitor.app". Menu "View" » "All Processes" » click on the "Process Name" header to sort them by name.
  2. Quit VirtualBox. Then on the "Activity Monitor" make sure that there's no "VBoxSVC" process.
  3. Open Macintosh SSD⁩ ▸ ⁨Users⁩ ▸ ⁨user⁩ ▸ ⁨VirtualBox VMs⁩ ▸ Ubuntu ▸ Ubuntu.vbox with a text editor (TextWrangler, Atom, TextEdit). Delete the following 4 lines (I added the line numbers to help you find them):
    14       <DVDImages>
    15         <Image uuid="{126dfdde-1b76-4dce-88a5-b1f30a893bb7}" location="/Users/user/Downloads/ubuntu-18.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso"/>
    16         <Image uuid="{0e3ca4cf-63fe-432c-aa09-079e300a8844}" location="/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso"/>
    17       </DVDImages>
  4. Save the file, start VirtualBox, launch the VM.
If this procedure is not too easy for you, let me know and I'll post the vbox file...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
raed707

Post by raed707 »

Thank you very much it worked!

I was trying to fix the problem of not being able to go fullscreen on the virtual machine
and I think I Inserted Guest Additions CD twice because I tried to install it many times with no success.

Now I have my OS running again thanks to you but with the same first problem of not being able to go fullscreen.
Do you have any advice on this problem?

I appreciate your help
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

raed707 wrote:not being able to go fullscreen. Do you have any advice on this problem?
Yes! Open a new thread with a matching title, because this one is getting marked as [Solved]. We like to observe the "One issue, one thread" rule... ;)