[Resolved] Virtualbox.xml file is empty, path completely missing.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
VirtualViktor

[Resolved] Virtualbox.xml file is empty, path completely missing.

Post by VirtualViktor »

Hi All!

So I'm on osx (Mojave 10.14.6) and yesterday I've done some work on a linux vm and it ran out of space. Now whenever I want to start up Virtualbox it gives an error at startup.
Saying :
Het is niet gelukt het VirtualBox COM-object te verkrijgen.

Het programma wordt nu afgesloten.

Document is empty.

Location: '/Users/sietze/Library/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml', line 1 (0), column 1.

/Users/vbox/tinderbox/6.0-mac-rel/src/VBox/Main/src-server/VirtualBoxImpl.cpp[624] (nsresult VirtualBox::init()).

Resultaatcode:NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:VirtualBoxWrap
Interface:IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d}
Callee:IVirtualBoxClient {d2937a8e-cb8d-4382-90ba-b7da78a74573}
I've read on this forum on several topics regarding a similar matter that it should be as simple as replacing the contents of the virtualbox.xml file with the contents of the virtualbox-prev.xml file.

But here is what I can't seem to figure out.
The path in the error log does not exists in that specific way on my machine. So the location the error log is hinting at where my virtualbox.xml file should be does not exist at all!.
I've searched my mac on "virtualbox.xml" but results come up completely empty.
I even went as far as trying to create the specific file path, trying to manually fix the problem by then making a xml file from scratch maybe. But inside /Users/sietze/ it wont let me create a folder named Library. It says the name Library is already in use.
Which makes sense I guess because my Library folder is inside :
Macintosh HD\Bibliotheek
Bibliotheek means library in Dutch. But inside this folder there is no VirtualBox folder.

There is also a : Macintosh HD\System\Library. But there is no virtualbox folder there as well.
I've reinstalled virtual box a couple of times but this does not does anything at all.

I hope anyone can guide me in the right direction.

Regards,
Sietze
Last edited by socratis on 27. Aug 2019, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtualbox.xml file is empty, path completely missing.

Post by socratis »

Your OSX is "protecting" you by hiding some key locations. Enter the following command in a Terminal:
  • 
    defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE; killall Finder
Or alternatively you could go to the Finder » Go » Go to Folder... (⇧⌘G) » "~/Library" (without the quotes).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
VirtualViktor

Post by VirtualViktor »

When I entered your command inside my terminal and then navigated to the Library path, the virtualbox folder was there!. I then proceeded and copied the contents from the prev file into the virtualbox.xml file. The program then booted without problems.

Many thanks!! :mrgreen:
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You're welcome! Marking it as [Resolved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.